ACER aspire laptop screen is black and non responsive!! HELP!!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rbigic

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
When I turn my laptop on it just says "acer" then the little loading circle underneath then one beep then the screen is black and then nothing!! I've tried alt-f10, ctrl-alt-del. making the battery go flat then starting up again. It is responding to nothing at all! Nothing new was downloaded or anything. It was on and working one minute and then when I went to use it the screen was black like it was sleeping and the. Nothing at all!! Help!!! I'm renting the laptop too so if I give it to them they will charge me a ridiculous amount of money when I know nothing has been done to it to make it like this.

Solution
Hey Rbigic I encountered the same problem with my laptop. all you need to do is hit F2, F9 and F10 and press enter. reboot it right after. i'm pretty sure that will do the trick for you. it worked for me

NOT_PROVIDED_548

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016

Mark_132

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016

Mark_132

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
That one is the only one that worked for my E1-571. I.e. Whilst on remove battery but still on mains. Sixty seconds on F12 only then release. Remove mains power. Replace battery and away she goes. Thanks for the tip.

Deb_3_

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Y'all, I haven't been able to use my laptop in about 6 months because of this issue. I finally got fed up and tried about a million solutions, and pulling the battery and holding F12 worked for me. I cannot thank you enough!!

k_graham

Estimable
Sep 13, 2015
None of previous solutions worked so I tried removing cmos battery in addition to regular battery.

This got screen working but said no drive installed. I had changed to Linux so uefi bios was not recognizing hard drive or dvd drive, I had to change to legacy option in Bios.

Ive encountered corrupted bios settings previously where I thought a virus must have got into system, a tip off is having continuing issues after a known good and complete clone restore.

Of couse this may have also just been a case of a bad connection fixed by disassembly of system to replace battery. Ken

Thomas_170

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
I tried all of the suggestions here for an Acer Aspire V3-372-518V and in the end the only thing that worked was updating the BIOS to v.1.8 (from the supplied v. 1.5) which can be downloaded from the Acer support site. How come my laptop which was delivered yesterday had the old BIOS I cannot tell you.

You will need to install the .exe file on a USB stick and run it from there. Windows will shut down while the BIOS is being updated and do the install in its own mini OS. This is good as the black-scree-of-death can not happen while it is updating.

I also used the Driver Booser 3 program to update another 9 drivers that the built in Acer check-up tool could not find. I am very skeptical about these types of programs due to phising attacks etc. but this program worked for me. They will try to get you to install and pay for a premium version.. I just ran the basic program.

The laptop is now fine! I have the impression that it even runs faster.. No data to prove this however..

Javier E

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016

I had the same problem, only the touchpad showing my mouse moving. I tried reboot and when screen showing Acer logo I hit the keys Alt + F10, it open an option restore menu and select restore a point before.

My problem was I forgot connect AD line and my battery was empty. I'll be more care to turn down safety :)
Thanks a lot.

msimko

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Check the charger. Either try another charger from the same model, or see if that charger can supply a low voltage draw, like a 12v incandescent light bulb.

There are two common inner diameters for that plug. The acer takes a smaller holed plug. The plug with the larger hole won't work.

Those power supplies depend on draw, so simply checking voltage with a meter is not reliable, although you should check the voltage to see if the output is up to spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.