acer aspire no rebootable device dosent matter what i do it comes up with the same message is it totally stuffed?

graham1423

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
no matter what I do it just comes up no bootable devise pressed f2 gone thru all options but still nothing is it stuffed?

Causes of this Error...

1. Incorrect boot order.
2. Partition not set as active.
3. Hard disk failure.

NOTE: Some of the solutions below require the use of the Microsoft Windows setup CD/DVD or USB.

1. Check Boot Order

The simplest fix for this error is to make sure your computer’s boot order correctly list your hard disk as the 1st option.

To check the boot order...

a. Restart your computer
b. Access your BIOS menu.
c. Go to the Boot tab.
d. Change the boot order so that your computer’s HDD is listed first.
e. Save the settings.
f. Restart your computer.

2. Partition not set as active.

This error will also appear if your primary partition is no longer set as 'active'. To set the primary partition as active, you need to use diskpart to run the necessary commands for this.

If you have the original Windows installation media, you can use that media:

a. Insert the Windows installation CD/DVD or USB and boot from that.
b. At System Recovery Options or the Troubleshoot, click Command Prompt.
c. Now type: "diskpart" (without the quotes) and press "Enter".
d. Next type: "select disk 0" (again without the quotes) and press "Enter".

NOTE: Where 0 is the disk’s number where your Windows is installed on. For a full list of disks that are available on your computer, type "list disk" (without the quotes).

e. Now you want to type: "list partition" (yes, without the quotes) and hit "Enter".
f. Here you will type in: "select partition 1" (you guessed it, without the quotes) and hit "Enter".

NOTE: Where 1 is your primary partition.

g. Finaly type: "active" (no quotes) and hit "Enter".

This should resolve the problem.

NOTE: If you don’t have the original installation media, you will need "Easy Recover Essentials" and run the fixes from the Command Prompt.

graham1423

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016

thanks for a really comprehensive reply, I don't have the original windows cd as it came already loaded on the laptop the first item in the boot menu is HDD there's no mention anywhere in the menus of partition, is easy recover solutions a downloadable programme? if so could I download it to my desktop and transfer it via a usb cable? or should I buy a disc? or could I just buy a windows 10 programme disc and start a fresh? thankyou for your help its much appreciated graham.

Yeah unfortunately systems really don't come with recovery disks anymore.They expect you to make your own, or they have them on the drive, in another area/partition.

You can download easy recovery essentials, but it isn't free. https://neosmart.net/EasyRE/

You can buy a new Windows, but if the hard drive itself is the problem, and if it is failing, it won't help. All this will do is write over the data that is there, killing anything you had on the drive.

If the computer is still under warranty, I would suggest you contact the manufacturer. They may be able to repair/or replace it for you, so there is no cost to you. Just let them know you want to salvage as much data as you can.

graham1423

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
thanks again for taking the time to help me with this problem, I managed to make a recovery usb stick but its too big for the laptop @3.40gb is there anything I can lose from .....boot, efi, sources, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, reagent,

cheers graham