ajulik1997

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
Hi,

My Acer Aspire 5734Z is not charging. I suspect this is due to the internal PSU failure, but need confirmation and steps how to fix this.

I accidentally, plugged in a wrong charger into the laptop (they looked identical), and as I did, I heard a faint pop, as if there was a spark. This charger supplied higher voltage than the correct one.
I suspected that a higher voltage would just power-off the laptop due to the over-voltage protection, or just blow a internal fuse or something, but nothing happened. Except for the fact that the correct charger no longer charges the laptop.

I verified that this is not the charger fault, as the green light is lit on the transformer part of the charger.

I also verified that this is not the battery fault either, as I removed the battery and let it charge this way too. But to no avail.

As far as I know, the BIOS is up to date, so that cannot be the fault.

I have tried opening the laptop up to see if there is any visible damage to the internals, but none are visible.

The laptop worked fully even after all of this, until all the remaining battery it had left discharged.

If anybody knows anything else that I could try, then please point me in the right direction. I am prepared to mess with the internals and even to some soldering if necessary to get it to charge again.

Thanks

ajulik1997

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
Worked it out. The charging chip situated right next to the battery pins was charred and most likely burnt and damaged. Replaced the motherboard, and works perfectly now.