Acer Aspire One D257-N57Dbb initialize problem

bojkonil

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Hi,
i've been given this netbook to fix whatever i can. So far i've replaced the keyboard and HDD, but 1 issue remains. Half the time on boot/reboot, the netbook just shows "_" and stays like that for a few minutes before flashing the ACER logo and then showing "_" again for some time. After that it loads the OS normally. The rest of the time it just boots/reboots perfectly normal, without any delays.
I'm looking for any idea what the problem could be and if it's fixable.

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Hey there, bojkonil.

I'd recommend that you check the drive for any loose connections. If that doesn't seem to be the issue, I'd suggest that you download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and test the drive with it, to see if any errors pop-up, in case this turns out to be a faulty HDD. Even if everything's connected properly and the drive is in good condition, the issue could be caused by a faulty SATA cable, so it's advisable that you try the drive with another computer as well, to see if the same thing happens again.
Something else you could try, is to reset/update the BIOS/UEFI,

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

bojkonil

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014

Hi,
thank you for the ideas. I thought it might be the sata connector since i have checked the disk and flashed the last bios version and reset the bios. After a nudge from God, though, saving me the trouble of unnecessarily dismantling the Netbook, i just powered it up and it booted normally. After some testing everything seemed fine, which got me to remember i had 2 usb devices plugged in at the time of the problems, which i had thought could be causing the problem, but later forgot to test it. So now i did and it seems the problem is being caused by my Microsoft Habu mouse.