Question Acer Aspire Power light and screen blinking

Jan 15, 2020
When I press power ON, power light blinks blue every 5 seconds, and each time the screen also blinks very faintly. Tried removing battery+ holding power button for 1min + reinserting. Also tried using laptop with either AC only (battery removed) or battery only, with same results.
Before this started happening I saw the screen turn to a pattern of colored rectangles.
Thank you.

Sounds like your display (or even the GPU) may be shot. Try this...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Should none of the above help/work. Then I would have the laptop looked at. Either by the manufacturer (if under warranty) or by a local tech.

Reactions: Atropa
Jan 15, 2020
Sounds like your display (or even the GPU) may be shot. Try this...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Should none of the above help/work. Then I would have the laptop looked at. Either by the manufacturer (if under warranty) or by a local tech.

Thanks. I tried connecting it to a TV through HDMI, as I don't have another monitor unfortunately. No signal.
Tried the Ctrl + Shift + Win + B with no avail.
It's worth noting maybe that when I turn it on I hear no sound at all (no fan/boot noise etc).
If it's useful to mention, a month before this happened in the BIOS menu I chose by mistake for graphics card to boot first (1.)
Never restored settings because it kept working normally (boot after some white on black text about graphics card).

I would then suggest you have it looked at. And in the future not to change the BIOS boot order unless needed for say a USB to reinstall the OS or something similar.

To be hones, messing around in BIOS, the Registry, and a few other places really isn't wise unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing.