Acer Aspire Repair on a budget

AppleHater

Estimable
Jul 11, 2015
Hi, I bought the laptop that I need help with half a year ago. It is an Acer Aspire v5 - 431 series.
The laptop has a lot of scratches and a few that are engraved deep into the laptop (a centimeter deep). So, being stupid. I decided to one day, draw on my touch pad with a SHARPIE. *genius*
So, three months later, I decided to remove it along with other sharpie drawings I did on the laptop. *again, genius!!* I googled how to remove sharpie on laptops and somebody suggested TOOTHPASTE!! So, I took toothpaste and rubbed it into the spot of the sharpie and it went away. However, I now have a broken touch pad. Note; the sharpie line was on the bottom edge of the touch pad so toothpaste has basically invaded my touch pad.

Also the key that looks like this |> (right arrow) is also broken. I was wondering if I could basically, polish it up and remove scratches. Fix the right arrow key. Replace/fix the touchpad and add some more RAM to the computer on a budget of $250. That sounds impossible. I don't know if I should renovate my laptop or just buy a new one? I wouldn't have chosen this laptop, my dad got it for me for my birthday ;).

Thanks!!

AppleHater

Estimable
Jul 11, 2015

That is what I am currently doing. However, I really dislike it as I can't go into my bed and watch videos with it :L

It would be about that much only with the labor to install it, removing the palmrest is not too hard in many models of laptop, the only trick is messing with the small connections on the motherboard, need to be careful with them, if one snaps off, that's a new motherboard. A replacement laptop of the same model will be quite a bit more than a repair even with the labor cost, and since the system has quite a bit of marks on it, it would not sell for much at all. In this case I'd suggest a repair. External touchpad would work but means you can't just grab the laptop and go somewhere, need to make sure you carry the touchpad with you.

TRENDING THREADS