Acer Ferrari 4000 problem

Neooo

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
A few months back the CPU started to overheat at maximum usage, and after a while I started to get GPU glitches as well. It's all probably related to the lack of thermal paste on either. However, about a month back, the GPU seemed to have died completely. When I'd turn the laptop on, the cooler would simply run idly, with nothing showing up on the display (or external), nor any beeps sounding (or the BT LED turning on, as normally happens at boot). I assumed the GPU died and gave up on the laptop. I drained the battery and it had been sitting on the floor all this time, collecting dust.
Just for fun, I decided to try it again yesterday, so I connected the AC and switched it on. Somehow it booted up NORMALLY.
After a while though, it died again and won't start back up (same problem as before). It died while I wasn't around, while installing some windows updates.
So I'm wondering, what are the possible explanations to it dying? AND more curiously, why the hell did it decide to suddenly work again for a while yesterday? I'm really confused.
I can't believe that a fried GPU can simply decide to work every couple of weeks. Is there anything relatively simple I might try to fix it/make it boot up again?

Acers are notorious for their heat issues. It sounds like the on board graphics over heated to the point of not being able to run consistently. In regard to it suddenly working, my guess is that after sitting around for awhile, various components, i.e. the silicon or whatever on the graphics die cooled and resettled. But by turning it on again, it mooted the settling by heating up again.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like there is an easy fix, as it could be any number of things. You can open it up and look for a burnt wire or two, but if that isn't it, chances are that it is something with the graphics chip. If it is a dedicated gpu, you may be able to buy a new one and simply replace it, but if it is integrated, it's probably a no go.

mathdude

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Hey Neooo,

I know it's been more than a year since you first posted your problem.
I have a friend with the same exact model laptop.

Symptoms:
* Video on LCD would shut off randomly (but sound would still be playing in the background).
* Also, the system was overheating due the CPU (which must have contributed to the overheating of the GPU since they share the same heatsink/fan.)
* Eventually, absolutely no video would appear on the LCD and the only way to use the laptop was through external VGA hookup (but DVI worked only for first few seconds before it shut down completely as windows would boot).

The video card's during this time were notorious for going bad. Well, it's hard to say what goes bad.... either the soldered connection from GPU to motherboard (mobo), or it could in fact be a bad video card (which is very rare). Please check to make sure it's not a dying LCD.

But.. If you haven't already read up. There is a possible solution to your problem. It's called "video card reballing". This in fact is a very expensive process that requires professional equipment and experience. But as I have done research on this, it's actually not worthwhile because these "PROFESSIONALS" will not warranty their work for more than 30 days.

Which leads me to your one option, "Heat Gun fix". I've done this with my friends acer ferrari. Basically, remove your motherboard from your laptop. Wrap the motherboard completely in aluminum foil. Leave the GPU unfoiled... and then use a heat guy (at low setting) for about 3-4 min moving the heat gun in a circular fashion about 5-8 inches above the GPU (in a well ventilated room). There are some youtube videos on this. Google "Heatgun GPU fix" or something similar. Hopefully you can breath new life into your laptop. Some people will tell you not to do this... I'm just suggesting this as an option if currently you're using it as an expensive paperweight. There are some suggestions to "BAKE" the motherboard in an oven, but that to me seems pretty unsafe (since their are hazardous material inherent on the mobo).

I can only speak from my own experience.
I've repaired first gen intel IMAC using this technique (lasted a few months).
I've repaired a acer ferrari 400 with this technique.
I've got a dell XPS m1330 to work long enough to back up it's data.
Tried to repair a clamshell but failed because I overheated the motherboard with the heat gun.

Good luck if you still got it.
- Mathdude.