Acer HDD Question

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
So, now I have somewhat deteriorating situation (depending).....I just have very simple question about these internal laptop hard drives that are working from standard SATA......this one has the standard SATA but also has the little tiny serial strip that attaches to the motherboard of the laptop. So my question is, if I take this little HDD out and set it up on my desktop to extract data from, will that be ok? realizing that the little serial strip will simply be connected to nothing when i interface it with my desktop computer.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes, that will expose the standard SATA data and power connections.
Of course, the dude does not show those...:pt1cable:

See at 2:27

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
Most likely you won't be able to use that "strip" in your desktop anyway.
s-l225.jpg

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
hah, you just reminded me...i actually have a nice corsair ssd (only 90gig), but could use if necessary. i'm not 100% sure this drive is broken, yet. i'll try it in a few -- the only thing that i know is broken is the securing mechanism for the data strip to the motherboard (of laptop). this can easily be rigged, just have to make sure drive is not broken, though.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Okay, I've got it up on my desktop, looks like hdd sustained the fall. Like I said, the hdd in this laptop was definitely a higher end mechanical drive compared to what i've seen in past laptops. the actual culprit that started all of this was the wire on the ac adapter for the Acer laptop. can you believe that? not some cheapy 3rd party ac adapter, but the stock Acer adapter just basically stripped from bending here and there over time. I actually never saw anything like this before.....you could actually visually see and audibly hear the sparks coming out of the wire where it was stripped. speaking of 3rd party ac adapters, i'm looking at one here as a replacement, never heard the name, iTEKIRO, but it is cheap and it has correct specs. any info on that name brand? iTEKIRO?

iTEKIRO AC Adapter Charger for Acer Aspire ES1-512-P9GT, ES1-711, ES1-711-C7TL, ES1-711-P1UV, ES1-711-P3YR, 10.1 Inch, 11.6 Inch, 521, 521-3089

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Thanks for telling me that....it didn't drop from table distance to floor at free fall speed, though. it sort of boinked on the table then hit my leg and then fell on the floor (with some cords and stuff down there as well). here is to hoping it doesn't show signs of damage at all.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
btw, anyone who happens to have read this thread have any thoughts on the fact that the stock Acer AC adapter wire actually stripped open and was sparking? The wire was never even close to anything abrasive that would have worn it down, nothing. was purely from bending...nothing even approaching excessive bending.

Must be a very cheaply made adapter (like many of Acer's laptops). Thinner wires with thinner insulation covering the wires, I guess. I remember having the same issue back in the old days when I had portable CD players. Thin adapter wires prone to breaking after awhile. But the wires and insulation on laptop adapters is usually thicker and sturdier. The wires still sometimes break inside the insulation, but give no outward appearance that they have. But apparently they are starting to make laptop adapters cheaper these days.
Same with not bolting down HDDs these days. Anything to cut costs.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Just to give an update on the situation, I got a generic replacement ac adapter and cord today -- put the bottom shield back on the laptop and it fired up fine. I'm on it right now. I paid like $12.50 (shipped) for this new generic ac adapter and cord and the cord is actually thicker than the brand name Acer cord. I read what you wrote about the hard drive lifespan, but hopefully this one will be okay. The only other thing that I am worried about is that this ac adapter (whiled marketed for my *exact* laptop) does have some slightly different specs. Yikes, no wattage specification, just noticed that. Also, input amp 1.5A (Acer was 1.2A), and output 3.42A (Acer was 2.37A).

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

So, I made a response on the other thread that I had about this as well. But anyway, I think the drive may have corrected itself.....it was a bit quirky after i got the laptop back up and running, but seems fine now. what do you think? been 1 month +, think it's okay?