Solved! Acer laptop shuts off

Gman5473

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
My Acer laptop keeps shutting off due to overheating when I play online games. It runs fine when I do other things but when I play online games it gets hot and shuts off after 45 minutes. I know the fan runs but the bottom left side of the laptop is hot. I have an Acer V3-551-8419. Please help me.

Solution
You could buy a laptop cooling pad but that won't fix the problem, it'll cover it up but the laptop might not shut down as often, especially if you don't do any troubleshooting on it.

I would take the model number and put it in the YouTube search area, something like "repairing an Acer V3-551-8419" (without the quotes) and see if you can find a guide on there to dis-assemble the laptop and clean it out, or a guide similar to that model laptop.

I did a complete dis-assembly of a Dell 17" gaming laptop because of overheating and the cooling fins and the cooling fan were completely full of dust bunnies.
While it was torn apart, I replaced the thermal paste on the graphics card too.

Everything is back to normal and it's been running...
Well it could be that you need to replace the thermal paste, or it could be that the fan is going and not cooling it enough. The fan and thermal past may then need replacing.

Also, if you haven't cleaned out the laptop (dirt, dust, etc.,) it could be restricting the air flow and the ability to cool.

However, before opening it up to see, make sure that the laptop is no longer under warranty. If it is still under warranty, then contact the manufacturer before doing any work yourself.

Blackink

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
You could buy a laptop cooling pad but that won't fix the problem, it'll cover it up but the laptop might not shut down as often, especially if you don't do any troubleshooting on it.

I would take the model number and put it in the YouTube search area, something like "repairing an Acer V3-551-8419" (without the quotes) and see if you can find a guide on there to dis-assemble the laptop and clean it out, or a guide similar to that model laptop.

I did a complete dis-assembly of a Dell 17" gaming laptop because of overheating and the cooling fins and the cooling fan were completely full of dust bunnies.
While it was torn apart, I replaced the thermal paste on the graphics card too.

Everything is back to normal and it's been running cooler for a year now.

Solution