Acer Laptop Suddenly Shutsdown with a Clicking Sound after Turning On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2018
Hi guys,

My Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Laptop suddenly shuts down after turning it on. After a few seconds of being turned on, an error message pops up and then it turns off with a clicking sound.

I don't remember installing anything recently. This has been with me for about 4 years but its the first time I am encountering this problem. I am assuming that this might be an overheating problem, right? I do hear the fans spinning.

I have attached a link of a video below for reference of the issue I am encountering.

https://youtu.be/ARPh5_SMv0I

You can probably hear the clicking sound somewhere in 0:20 of the video.

I tried to get into the bios settings but it suddenly shuts down. I am assuming this is more of a hardware issue than an OS/software issue.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on the issue. And how would I go about in fixing it. Thank you so much!

Solution
That clicking could be a sign of your hard disk beginning to fail and it would be best to remove it. You'll need to buy a caddy with a three ended USB cable to connect the disk to another PC so you can rescue your data.

If that is the problem, the sonner the better and without turning the laptop on unnecessarily. The disk might be on its last legs.

Sep 21, 2018

Thanks for the information. I will try to remove the HDD and backup my important files. (Hopefully, if I can access it)

Considering that it still shuts down even on the bios settings is there a possibility that some other hardware is causing this other than the hard disk?

I will let you know once I am able to test my HDD. Thanks!

Switch it off and remove the power cable then remove any USB devices..

You'll need an M2.5 Pozi, screwdriver, a bank or credit card and maybe a needle. Remove all the screws on the base and If there are any rubber feet that might be hiding other screws, use the needle to pry the rubber up. Slide the DVD unit out.

Aim the credit card to one of the front corners and press it into the crack. Widen that and ease the card alll the way round the casing until it lifts away. Don't try to lift it up too far because you may break a delicate connection.

Identify the hard disk and see if you have to disconnect connections. The black plastic bar flips upwards to release the ribbon cable.

That's a brief guide but if you Google for and find the Service Manual for your model, it will give you more detail. Most are free to download as PDFs.

Good luck.

mikeglaw

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017

Try booting with a cd or usb device to see if you can get by the error. It could be a disk (do you have a HDD or a SDD disk?) boot error, possibly a bad boot sector.

Sep 21, 2018

Hi guys. Just to give you an update. Its now working but I am not really sure what fixed it.

First, I was able to open my laptop and remove the HDD. Didn't experience any unexpected shutdowns after removing it. Then I replaced it with an HDD from my Windows 7 Laptop (The broken laptop is Windows 8.1) to check if it can detect. Unfortunately, it was unable to detect my spare HDD.

Second, I created a bootable Windows 8.1 USB using RUFUS. Changed the bios boot order but it still says no bootable device. I did notice that the USB device was not detected in the BIOS.

Third, I burned a bootable Windows 8.1 DVD. Did the same BIOS changed above but still no bootable device is detected.

Fourth, I disabled Secure Boot in BIOS and did the 2 steps above but it cannot detect any bootable device.

I was about to give up considering that my laptop was unable to detect the USB and DVD so I decided to open it up a bit further. I removed the CMOS Battery & Ram and reinserted it. Used the OLD HDD again. And it suddenly was working again. However, I did notice that it takes a bit time to boot as compared to before this happened.

Although it is working now, I am still puzzled as to what really fixed it. I wonder if it was the reseating of the CMOS and RAM. Based on what I described above, do you have any idea what probably fixed this? Also, if in case I'd like to change the HDD, how would I possibly do it? I don't know why it was unable to detect my other HDD. I wonder if there is a special procedure that I need to do to replace my HDD. I'd like to know your thoughts.

Thank you so much for your help!

Solution
Whatever fixed , you fixed it so well done, you certainly covered a lot of ground.

I mmay have put too much suspicion on your comment about a clicking sound because I've heard lots of failing hard disks suddenly stopping and making that sound.

To be certain, you could buy another drive - maybe a Solid State - and use the EaseUS cloning utility to clone your entire system on to the new disk when it's slaved by USB.

Your existing disk becomes a backup store so its not wasted and gives you a completely up to date system in case anything else goes wrong in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.