acer laptop wont start after windows update

Aug 19, 2018
any ideas laptop had a forced windows update now wont turn on. power button works so can turn on and off but black screen. hard drive only makes noise for a couple of seconds then nothing all worked fine until update. have taken out battery and replaced tried holding power button nothing.

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

tejayd

Proper
Mar 11, 2018
I had something like that happen to my MSI laptop during the last windows update. Mine was the screen was black (not working). When I connected it to an external monitor it worked that way. It was probably something to do with a driver. I just did a system restore. Might be worth trying if you have a way to hook it up to a monitor.

Aug 19, 2018
tried that first but nothing, on re-powering on you can hear the harddrive start but nothing happens just a black screen and after 2 to 5 seconds you can't hear the drive working. all was fine until the update yesterda.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution