acer power problem

elmarteen

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
I have had an acer aspire 5000 for a little more then a year. I have never had any problems till about a week ago. I have the it on and the power will switch between the power supply and battery power. I have chenged the cord that plugs the power suppy in to the wall. I am thinking that I need a new power supply. If anyone knows what I need to do it would be great help.

symbasys

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

The power jack on these laptops is only held in place by the solder joints, and it is typical for it to come loose from the motherboard from plugging and unplugging the power cord, or if the cord is jerked by tripping over it, etc. The only way to repair this is to completely disassemble the laptop, remove the motherboard, and replace the jack. It's not a repair for the faint of heart, and you should have very good desoldering and soldering skills. If you attempt to do it yourself, be sure to order a new power jack before you begin disassembly. The old one is most likely damaged either from being jarred loose and/or from overheating due to the fractured solder joints.