Acer Spin 5 - Battery charges but laptop turns off when disconnected from AC

rlawt8

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
I've been having a really weird issue with my spin 5 since last night. I was swapping the SSD in the laptop and had it all powered on but when everything was reassembled I was in windows and moved my screen back a bit and it turned off. This happened twice before the laptop refused to boot without AC power. Getting back into windows it said that the laptop was at 40% and plugged in, not charging. After this I performed several battery resets as per the instructions of Acer to no avail and resat the cmos battery a couple of times. I finally gave up for the night, performing a battery reset and leaving the battery unplugged as i went to sleep. I woke up and tried it again with no changes, and after about half an hour of messing the battery started charging again normally but the laptop still turns off when disconnected from AC, even though the battery is now at 100%. I have weirdly got the battery to work when the screen is at curtain angles but any movement and it instantly powers down again. Can anybody recommend anything to try before I have to get it looked at and repaired or is it a lost cause by this point?

sirstinky

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
It's possible a lead was damaged or pinched somehow and is either breaking connection or shorting out. Everything is crammed into every nook and cranny in laptops and has to go back exactly like it was when you reassemble anything. If something is out of alignment just a little bit, the chassis or lid can cause bend and flexing, and pinch a wire or even pull a connector loose and cause it to work intermittently. If you don't want to pull the bottom case off or the palmrest off to see if there's an issue, then take it to a tech and have them diagnose it. It could be a simple connection issue, or a broken connector/wire somewhere, or a damaged circuit board.

sirstinky

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
It's possible a lead was damaged or pinched somehow and is either breaking connection or shorting out. Everything is crammed into every nook and cranny in laptops and has to go back exactly like it was when you reassemble anything. If something is out of alignment just a little bit, the chassis or lid can cause bend and flexing, and pinch a wire or even pull a connector loose and cause it to work intermittently. If you don't want to pull the bottom case off or the palmrest off to see if there's an issue, then take it to a tech and have them diagnose it. It could be a simple connection issue, or a broken connector/wire somewhere, or a damaged circuit board.

Nov 8, 2018
I had the same problem, searching 2 days what i have done wrong when changing the screen. It seems there is a button next to the ram module which is pressed when the bottom cover is attached and the screw next to it fastened. It almost drive my crazy. Hope this helps.

bruestle

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Yes, now that think about it, it was the missing screw that was causing my problem also. When I opened up the case, there was one screw missing. I had put it back together with a different empty screw hole. Moving the screw back to where it was solved my problem.

Whew!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop Tech Support 1
pyro_isn_oob Laptop Tech Support 4
Y Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 3
suhaib.ajaz03 Laptop Tech Support 0
Epic Creeper Laptop Tech Support 1
Michael@Jensen@WK Laptop Tech Support 1
V Laptop Tech Support 2
Shootingstar007 Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 0