Acer TimelineU M5 "no internet access"

erikthereddest

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Hello everyone,

I tried searching for this, so forgive me if its been asked before. I just received my Acer TimelineU M5 and can't seem to get it to connect to my girlfriend's internet. It finds the wifi, connects to the router, but just goes back and forth between reconnecting and saying "no internet access." The internet works fine, every other device can connect. This laptop also connects just fine at school and my own house. What's going on here?

Thanks!

ss202sl

Honorable
Check the network properties on the laptop. it almost sounds like your not getting the default gateway set properly from DHCP on the router. Make sure that your getting an IP address from DHCP as well as the default gateway.

erikthereddest

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying- could you give me the stupid-speak translation? :D

Are you saying that my laptop isn't setting up the connection correctly automatically, or that the router itself isn't recognizing my computer? Or something else?

erikthereddest

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Ok, since no one knew anything about this and I am not the only one to have had this problem, I'll go ahead and post my findings here for future reference to anyone else hoplessly Googling for an answer.

The wireless card is crap. Just about the only thing its reliably good for is its Bluetooth 4.0, but if you're like me, you don't even use that. Luckily, there's a fairly simple solution: you can replace the wireless card with the Intel 6230 for only $24 or so. There aren't any stickers or sensors to let Acer know that you've opened the case, so as long as you're careful and keep the old wifi card to pop back in, you shouldn't have problems with claiming your warranty if something goes wrong with something else.

Everything else about this laptop is great, it's a shame Acer elected to put this terrible wifi card in this computer and others (methinks they got a raw deal and had to use a massive stock of them up somehow).