Acer vs Asus advice needed

Marlcrona

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a computer that I can use for both work and home entertainment. So it should be able to handle word processing, photo editing and multitasking as well as playing HD movies via HDMI and playing some older games.

I've been looking a lot and narrowed it down to these two based on performance, size and price.

ASUS X53TK-SX031V
or:
Acer Aspire 5750G LX.RXP02.019

http://www.inwarehouse.se/k/kcp.aspx?sku=654274&sku=653678

They both cost the same and I just can't decide.

They have similiar graphics according to Notebookcheck (Acer- GeForce GT 630M - 1 GB DDR3 VRAM vs ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7670M - 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM).

The Asus has quad core processor as opposed to Acers dual, but Acer's i5 seem better and faster.

The Asus has 8gb RAM (1333MHz) instead of 6gb (1066MHz).

Same amount of space and type of hardrives on both.

I have heard that some don't like Acer and that it's prone to overheating, but the 5750g has had some really good reviews. I couldn't find any for the Asus however.

Any suggestions?
They are both on sale now so any quick reply would be most helpful.

dudewitbow

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
according to notebookcheck, the 7670m is only slightly faster than the 630m so its more heavily based on the cpu after this, which the first laptop has a better cpu. but like you said, asus has a better build quality then acer does(since asus builds its own parts)

modena1230

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I prefer Asus,and if they are very similar i'd go with the asus. The i5 may be faster on the acer but if the asus has a quad proc it may be more energy efficient giving you better battery life and cooler operating temps.

Marlcrona

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Cheers for the advice.
I was leaning towards the Asus but one thing worried me. How come the original price for the Acer was 7000 Swedish crowns (ca 1000 USD) and the Asus was only 6000 (ca 880 USD)? Is it only a brand thing or does the price actually reflect the quality and/or performance?

dudewitbow

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

both. since the i5 offers exceptional quality, but acers tend to have a few heat problems on some of their builds.

Marlcrona

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Thanks again.
So because of the history of poorly built Acers I'm going to go for the Asus. I do like my laptops cool and silent (ish).

Murppa01

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
ACER is the greatest manufacturer of computer hardware in the history of computers. I recently switched from Mac to ACER and could not be happier.

I also became an ACER sales rep for the greater Winston-Salem area to spread the good word of ACER. From all my experience in the industry, customers love ACERs. My customers have told me that their new ACER computers have both changed their personal lives and saved their businesses.

<3 ACER <3

SunlitSabre

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Have you owned any other brands personally? From all of the research that I've done, it appears that ASUS builds higher quality computers and that ACER is just reviewed well because that's all anyone buys.

talltm

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Specs wise the Acer is better. With 630m you have Optimus and Cuda together. ATI's gpus are notorious for their driver problems.
Quality wise, hands down Asus is better, but it's not to say the Acer is rubbish.

Choose the Acer and you'll be fine.