Acer's 7-inch Tablet Launching in August at $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
7" is too small (I know...that's what she said...)

What I want are 11"-12" tablets that are just as light as current 10" tablets (i.e. 600g).

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
7" models will have a place... But there needs to be a 3G version. For service trucks, A 10 inch tablet is more likely to be damage. Price is good...

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I don't know, a $300 dollar, 7" tablet it doesn't seem like an attractive deal to me. It seems pretty thick as well. Just asking, doesn't it look like a laptop when your looking at it's back to anyone else or is it just me?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]I don't know, a $300 dollar, 7" tablet it doesn't seem like an attractive deal to me. It seems pretty thick as well. Just asking, doesn't it look like a laptop when your looking at it's back to anyone else or is it just me?[/citation]
It's just you.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]What I want is a tablet that runs a real OS and can actually do something productive instead of just play angry birds. I can play Angry Birds on my Droid 3.[/citation]

LOOK AT IT! >:O LOOK AT IT!

pfjn

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
otocon72,

I hear what your saying. Its hard to figure out what role some of these new app running tablets are meant to fill. If you have a decent smart phone, its hard to see the benefit of a little bit larger device that just runs many of the same apps.

On the flip side of this though, my experience with previous tablets that run full fledged operating systems (like Windows, etc) are that they are great at many things, but can be a bit too slow in starting up (and maybe too short in battery life) for use in doing simple stuff like quickly checking emails and/or surfing the web or running simple apps.

Maybe if Acer (or others) could get the price of their next generation 7inch tablets a bit lower they could fill a better niche for those of us who don't use smart phones but want something capable of doing the simple stuff that doesn't require a full featured computer (though if the next gen full operating system tablets can be made to start up faster and if their battery life can be increased, that might alleviate the need for a lower cost app running tablet for many users).

Regards

PF

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
It is far too close to the netbook price range.

Tablets need to come down in price to the $100, low $200 range. Going into the $300 range is crazy considering a much more functional netbook or entry level laptop can be had, and in the case of the more expensive tablets, they tend to get into the performance laptop price range.

And giving the size of a tablet, the transport arrangements are similar for a tablet as it is for a netbook or laptop (the footprint is very close and you cant stick the tablet in your pocket)

For the price of a more expensive tablet such as a ipad, I was able to get a acer laptop with a radeon HD 6650 1GB, Phenom II x4 CPU, 4GB memory, 500Gb hard drive, 15.6 inch screen, and a bunch of other useless features

With a tablet you are basically getting slower hardware, you are loosing a physical keyboard for a harder to use onscreen keyboard that takes up most of your screen, and a touch screen which means (try enjoying that movie with smudges and dirt in the way of the picture)

PS even with the dual core android tablets, they still lag with flash while a modern laptop will not have that issue and you will be able to use a wider range of flash content and have a more functional OS that wont randomly quit background apps)

Thor

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
I wait to a electronic color ink with size of 8.5" x 11".

7" is really too small.
And to read during hour, LCD, Plasma, are really too bad.
Hope in less than 5 year we can have a real tablet to read magazine (8.5"x 11") and paper (11" x 17" tablet)

G

I rooted my Nook Color to run Honeycomb and came to the conclusion that it is too small to be a tablet. I use it to store and view documents for work but the screen size just doesn't cut it. I am looking to upgrade to a 10".

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
If I had any interest in a 7 inch tablet I'd still go with a Nook Color rooted with Honeycomb loaded.

I think the best option right now is to just wait for the new Kal-el chips from Nvidia to be released. Acer's Transformer 2 looks like it'll be a killer tablet. I'll just wait a couple of months.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]What I want is a tablet that runs a real OS and can actually do something productive instead of just play angry birds. I can play Angry Birds on my Droid 3.[/citation]

Didn't they release tablets with real OS (Microsoft) years ago? Didn't they fail miserably? The tablet is not a desktop. You don't want huge fan blowing at your crotch and to cook eggs on it!
Buy yourself a netbook if you can bear how sluggish they work.

I don't understand why people expect that tablets have to do everything a 20-30 pound PC does? Tablet are completely different product. They need to be fast and light and to start up in 1 second. They are media consumption devices, they are not production devices and they will never be.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
the pricing puts it in direct competition with Dell's Streak 7, which I still think is too expensive @ $300. The Acer seems to have superior specs though. Maybe Acer will drop the price $50 like they did with the Iconia because its initial price was too high. It would be attractive to me at $250.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
once 10"+ decent tablets (good hardware, extra storage ports and 1 or 2 usb ports) get down to $250 and below I'll start paying attention

right now they are overpriced snob toys

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I just bought the Acer A500 for $300 ($399 minus $100 coupon at Staples). So I'm guessing these 7" ones will go lower than that with discounts.

erinc

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
What's with the resolution? (is that a typo - or misinformation?) 1024x600 resolution equates to an aspect ratio of 128:75 according to an aspect ratio calculator I just googled
That's surely not correct since it would result in vertical bars (unused space) at either side of display in landscape mode, that or the display would be cropped which would mean content is lost.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
"What's with the resolution? (is that a typo - or misinformation?) 1024x600 resolution equates to an aspect ratio of 128:75 according to an aspect ratio calculator I just googled"

That is the standard resolution for most 9" and 10" netbooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.