Active bookshelf 2.0 speakers (music) under 350$

AHD880

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
I'm looking for a good price/quality bookshelf speakers for music only, under 350$ price.
The soundcard is e-mu 0204.
I have a limited choice so I'd be glad if someone suggest several models or give links on sites/comparison reviews.
Thanks in advance.

Just to ask, are you set on active speakers only? There are options, for example bi-amping some good used monitors but depending on what you can fine may blow your budget out of the water. Of just getting some good used or new monitors with an amp(not bi-amping) and going that route.

Options are somewhat limited with active speakers but they're out their pumping sound.

A few links: I have never listened to any of these speakers I'm providing links to and never( er, maybe sometimes) buy speakers I have never listened to. I have heard other models by these manufactures.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=377good company to buy from and has great clearance sales. PSB makes good speakers and Audio Engine is pretty decent.

http://www.parts-express.com/term/active-speakers?c=227 I have never listened to either of these manufactures speakers but Behringer( have used their mics) has been around for a number of years, so grain so salt.

M-Audio decent powered speakers. http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=studiomonitors

That's a few. Active speakers are nice if the amps in them are good but for low the budget ones, it can be a mixed bag. Going passive gives you more options since you have many choices on the speakers and what amps to use.

Comparison sites. DiyAudio, AVSforum and a lots of etc.

Happy near field monitoring, the Prisoner...

AHD880

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
I can consider passive speakers (though not used, active too) but will they sound significantly better with an amp/receiver for the same cost (inc. amp/receiver) as active ones in my budget?
I'm also thinking abut the cost range and the overall sound quality, how does it increase with the money? I mean at what average price borderline will I hear a major difference in comparison with, for example, 200$ speakers? I can consider spending maximum ~440$ then if it worth spending.

As a person who has bought used speaker for over 30 years, it is a great option. But If you want new, you pay the price and then some lucky person gets to buy them used for a lot less. Like I said above listen before you buy whether used or not. When I mean buying used, it is usually from a local stereo shop where I get a full trade in value up to a year or two if I decide to upgrade. I don't have a problem with ebay/craigslist/thrift store/garage sale(buy a lot at thrifts and garage sales for cheap) if I can hear before I buy.

I didn't mention buying a receiver since all you will need with your sound card is an amp with passive speakers.

AHD880 said "will they sound significantly better with an amp/receiver for the same cost (inc. amp/receiver) as active ones in my budget?"
Great question, my answer, maybe. I know that doesn't help but most of the budget should be spent on speakers. They have to reproduce the sound. Inexpensive active speakers have to factor in the cost of amps built in plus the cost of speakers themselves.

The higher end active speakers would be great speakers on their own and have specific amps built for each driver, which in some ways is ideal. Problem is they cost a lot.

"I'm also thinking about the cost range and the overall sound quality, how does it increase with the money? I mean at what average price borderline will I hear a major difference in comparison with, for example, 200$ speakers? I can consider spending maximum ~440$ then if it worth spending."

Another great question, doubling the cost doesn't necessarily mean double the sound quality but a "rule of thumb" is spend 50-75%(the higher the better) on speakers so if you had a 440.00 budget, spend 350.00 on speakers and the rest on an amp.

Argh, I don't really like recommending speakers I haven't heard but I don't mind recommending certain manufactures and the links above for the PSB active speakers, you should be fine. If you doing sound recording and production, you may want to find a place to hear any speakers you might consider.

Happy listening, the Prisoner...

AHD880

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Thanks for an answer. But it looks like finding a 100$ amp for speakers is very difficult, and there is even less info about them (like reviews, etc.), any suggestions here? Yet found only Pioneer A-109 for 138$...