Active or passive speakers for home theater

KeiserSozai

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016
Ok so I just blew up the last receiver I'll ever buy, unless someone can convince me otherwise. I wanna know what the difference is between active and passive speakers in terms of sound quality. And whether I can get a 7.2 channel speaker system hooked up to my computer that will take over the home theater duties to rival or at least match my old av receiver powered home theater system.

Well if you keep blowing up your receivers, I dare say you've been doing things wrong and don't know if you can changed.

PASSIVE obviously is the most flexible as you can swap/upgrade things individually. ACTIVE speakers, you are stuck with the set as-is, and any change typically mean wholesale change, but if you find an active speakers set you like, I say go for it. Now if you use active speakers, SOMEBODY has still got to do the D-A conversion, SOMEBODY still got to do the surround decoding, SOMEBODY still has to do the AV switching.

KeiserSozai

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016
Nah I've done nothing wrong. Just had bad luck with rx's (4 in 6 years). I live in an appartment so I'm limited to how hard I can push the speakers. Everytime I save the money to soundproof the room I've killed a receiver. I just get lemons. I've invested in yamaha, denon, marantz and pioneer. Theyve all blown themselves up.

Now that ive spent more time justifying myself rather than find the answers I'm looking for. I'll go elsewhere.