Activision Makes Call of Duty Endowment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Good PR for a company that doesn't care about its customers. Glad to see some good come out of the piles of money they'll be swimming in though.

soul555top

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Helping veterans and current members of our armed forces, who protect our country on a daily basis, amazing.

Doing it for publicity to sell a violent video game, not so amazing.

Not buying this game. Volunteering at the vet's hospital tomorrow since I get the day off, govt job ftw. Doing my part.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Reading "reviews" like the one on USAToday (today) show, the hype works and the success (probably carried mostly by consoles) will reinforce IW's strategy. In the end, PC gamers are a minority these days and there is no Equal Opportunity Gamer Agreement. ;-)

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I am a veteran myself and hate to see Activision use a franchise name to host a service for veterans that need assistance. Activision would not support anything if there was not something in it for them. How dare them feed off of a non-profit organization. They are using name recognition to get veterans to spend what little money they have on their product. If you want to donate, don't smear your franchise name feces all over an organization that actually cares about the individual they are servicing.

I really would hate to see what happens when this is not longer profitable for them. Are they just going to dump off the veterans and organization like the are doing the PC gamers who they view as non-profitable. This is a huge slap in the face. Why not just show your support for Nidal and his terrorist assault at Fort Hood.

Disgusting.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Agreed, datawrecker. Just because IW's trying to save face and hopefully use this to mitagate any lost PC sales due to its own selfishness... two wrongs don't make a right.
If one's going to make a donation, do it anonymously, and direct to the charity of your choosing.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Oh my gosh! They're such a great and caring company guys. Don't you see how wonderful these people are in giving to charity? Come on, let's all go buy their game to support this cause!!!

Syyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyke!

G

IW and Activision did screw the pootch when it comes to MW2 for PC. Granted. But to put them down in any way for supporting vets is stupid. ya, they get publicity, ya they get tax breaks, but the system is set up that way to encourage companies with money to donate to charities. Working as intended!

With that said, i would like to thank IW and Activision FOR RUINING A GREAT GAME. i mean, they even took the 'lean' out of the game. Boo-hoo if the console controllers don't have enough buttons to support it. Lazy F'rs, i'd rather them stick with pushing the release date back a month or two then get what we got. O-well, saves me 60 bucks.

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Why not just donate the $60 to the V.A. outright than spend it on a game people? No dedicated servers means no Grant & Hamilton for you Activision. Do you want to end up like Sony? Remember how great "Star Wars Galaxies" was at the beginning and then how it was all downhill after about two years? Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Man what happened at Activision/IW? Did they hire/fire someone and now they are making all the wrong moves? This is unreal! Selling a war game purely for profit and then "donating" a miniscule of it to the very people whose lives have been altered due to wars is such a cheap and nasty marketing strategy it makes me sick. If you donated 100% of your profits then I would be surprised, anything less than that and it's obvious what you're doing. Consumers are not dumb anymore, we're not impressed by such things.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Wow, been talking with some fellow vets. The vast majority of them and I are in agreement that this is sick disgusting.

Wonder if Activision realized that most of us vets that have a form of PTSD are not supposed to play games like this. I am lucky enough that Zyprexa works well for me when I need it. Hate to play MW or MW2 and just fucking lose it again.

*Knocks on Activisions from door wearing nothing but a Coke and a smile.* (I joke because it happened to me. Damn the wife with the camera.)

Status
Not open for further replies.