Activision: What Recession? We Wan to Buy!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
[citation][nom]Regected[/nom]The point is that new spending on entertainment has nearly stopped. That's no opinion; that is fact. Also, the best time to buy is after the market has hit rock bottom. Do you, in all of your financial wisdom, believe that the market will drop no lower? If so, I have some ocean from property to sell you in Nevada.[/citation]

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying that now is the time to BUY BUY BUY because I don't believe it's possible to win long-term by trying to 'play' the stock market. My point was that the author's false premise that it's somehow a WORSE time to make such an investment than it was during good times. The fact is that no one knows when the market will turn around. If you try to time your investments with the roller coaster ride of a market driven by emotion and fear, you'll get burned. I say, if you have the money, now's as good a time as any.

Also, I doubt your premise that the best time to buy intellectual property rights is right after the bottom. Perhaps stocks, but not intellectual property. Once the market's on its way up, who's gonna sell their goose now that it's laying golden eggs again? Right now there is a spirit of fear that has gripped the nation, and a wise investor can take advantage of eager sellers.

@jerreece Not to mention the fact that he wrote "those words of wisdom" without including a direct quote before. The whole thing is so unclear. It's like a six-year-old with an attention span of one second wrote it.

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I think this would be a great time for them to take on the mechwarrior series. there is a huge fan base that is screaming for a new Game to hit the mass market.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
mk is dead. what made mk is not the fighting, but the fatalities [finishing moves]. the only way to revive it is to bring back those finishing moves and at the same time reinvent it. to bring it back, they need to go back to 2d and start over.

the only thing making money is diablo 3, star craft 2 [if i comes out], and the guitar hero games. looking at the many fps games or the many games for 360/ps3/pc, they will sell modestly. but knowing that guitar hero world tour is selling better on wii then any other console, you know that this is the butter. how come they aren't making more wii games when that is where they should be focusing on?

if activision didn't have blizzard, they would be facing what ea, and espcially midway is facing. like what bill gates said once, success makes you weak.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]why are you listing these games ??? thier ip['s atnt even upf or sale and as far as i knwo blizzard nore activision ahs any thign to do with making them with perhaps teh exception fo that star trek one. max payne is onwed by aspyr(aka 3d reamls)KoTOR3 is being made by bioware hitman is owned by eidos[/citation]
Blizzard is looking for IP so I am suggesting what they should buy as the companies you listed aren't making new/good sequels.

[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Dunno if I can see that happening. Many large companies who's stocks are dropping below $10 a share are being removed from the stock exchange all together. Activision is listed in the above article as being just over $10 a share. So it's not like it's a big player on the exchange.It would be very good though to see Activision excel in other genres. I'd like to see more solid game titles out for PC. To many games lately are coming out for XBOX 360/PS3 only that I'd like to play.[/citation]
Just a suggestion; virtual entertainment is bound to be big in the future.

runt23

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
The problem is that their golden egg, World of Warcraft, will NOT go on forever. They have great minds working for them. It is hard to get a new idea out to the public. Even the best of games, like Psychonauts for example, can be awesome. But people like to stick with what they know. Buying up int rights for some games at cheap could revive some dying games/genres and bring them a small profit in the mean time.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Why buy someone else's IP? Whatever happened to building up your own IP based off the type of game you think people want to play. Soon you get your own fan-base and your own cash-cow series. Why not muscle in on EA's territory even and develop some sports-sims, city sims, people sims, and racing games? If the games are good, I'll buy it, and I'll probably buy their sequels too.

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]Why buy someone else's IP? Whatever happened to building up your own IP based off the type of game you think people want to play. Soon you get your own fan-base and your own cash-cow series. Why not muscle in on EA's territory even and develop some sports-sims, city sims, people sims, and racing games? If the games are good, I'll buy it, and I'll probably buy their sequels too.[/citation]
You have a great point. I can't think of any game I've played that was really any good after another company took over its development. I look at my copy of Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 and yearn for the days of the original, old school RCT1.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
they need to buy 3Drealms and put some man power behind duke nukem forever and make it a great game. That\'s an IP that still has huge potential as a continuing franchise.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]article[/nom]even though the company is currently the largest gaming publisher on the planet. [/citation]

I thought EA was the biggest? They must be close, or EA just lost a lot more value than I expected.

As for IP - I'd pray they'd buy 3do/nwc's might and magic/heroes of might and magic titles and make a new turn based game. Or make a new Dr. Drago game (bluebyte mid 90s) ... that'd be awesome! we could get rid of the vmware player with w98 & the drago iso ....

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]You mean like this one?[citation]"...yet those words of wisdom doesn't seem legitimate during current economical conditions."[/citation]I think it should be "don't" and not "doesn't".
I was talking about the words that could be considred typos in my comments, not the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.