Add a Soundtrack to Your YouTube Clips for $1.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
No, but I'm glad they're laying the crackdown on such things. For awhile there Youtube was (realistically still is) the new "Limewire" for people to pirate music.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Greed is the leading killer of man kind and we don't need any more of it. I am so sick of these under handed tactics that they use to make money.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
This is something that the music industry should have jumped on long ago if they had an ounce of brain. I hope this service takes off and leaves the big four labels in the dust. No more money to the RIAA or MPAA.

I applaud Youtube for being able to partner and offer the service.

Now pricing might not be the best, but it would be nice to see move forward and evolve.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Shouldn't partial revenue form Youtube ads go towards paying for the songs? Youtube is the one making a profit from them, so it only makes sense honestly.

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Why is it that every artist/record company that demands compensation for their work/intellectual property is considered "greedy."

That's how they make their money - how they make their living.

I think it's everyone unwilling to pay for it who is cheap.

Fast food chains charge royalties for people to open their stores, yet this is commonly accepted. Isn't paying for use of music exactly the same thing?

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I have a couple vids up on YT. I use "underscoring" that I have "ripped" to my HHD. youtube gives credit to the copyright holder on upload. If youtube wants to stripe the audio from my videos let them. I will just loop some myself. Underscoreing is just that. In short NO, I would not pay for underscore tracks when there is so many that are royalty free, or easy to create.

Now the "Youtube Affiliates", that actually receive ad revenue, most of them use original loops or indie band material that they have permission to use. It's great advertising for the artists, and is becoming a viable marketing tool.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]rocky1234[/nom]If I own the music I put to my video then that is my right. When they say if you own the music how are they to tell if you actually own it or not. Or is this why the charge you get the right to own it for that video.[/citation]

Actually, I believe that if you look at your rights under the license, it does not include the right to use it in creative works for public presentation.

I would like that people could create what they wanted without having to pay weird expensive complicated licenses, but look at it from the opposite side of "Free music is Free advertising", you effectively use someone else's work to advertise yourself. You end up eventually profiting (on noteriety) from the use of their work. In that case I don't see some kind of license as the epitome of evil. If there is one, it should be very cheap and encourage easy access to these libraries. Throw in required Title track info, record label info, like music videos, etc... no big deal.

Who knows. I see this as a step in the right direction from what we have already. The money is the carrot for other labels to do this as well. if it fails, the other labels will likely not even try something like it to change the status quo.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
That is stupid

Suppose you are making a short film to post on youtube. while recording the videos, 5 people drive by with the raido up really loud, now you are stuck paying for copyright for things that you didn't want in your video to begin with but with out it your video is at risk of being taken down

Or worst you are recording something, someone drives by with a loud radio, you have no idea what the song is so you couldn't license it even if you wanted to, then youtube disables the audio on your video.

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]That is stupidSuppose you are making a short film to post on youtube. while recording the videos, 5 people drive by with the raido up really loud, now you are stuck paying for copyright for things that you didn't want in your video to begin with but with out it your video is at risk of being taken downOr worst you are recording something, someone drives by with a loud radio, you have no idea what the song is so you couldn't license it even if you wanted to, then youtube disables the audio on your video.[/citation]
No, they aren't that strict.. albeit pretty cheap..

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I think this is an easy way for a company to make an extra $0.99 per song.

We live in an age of information. Information is as free as the water we drink and the air we breathe. We go to libraries and read, we watch TV for a low monthly payment and we go on Wikipedia to study. It is only a matter of time before music becomes something that is either sold by monthly fee, or just free. The idea that you hurt artists by downloading their work is rubbish. Artists make their money from gigs and tours. Record labels, essentially copyright hogs, make the real cash. Recording engineers make money from the business of the artists. It's a pretty simple cycle.

Also, I think if I buy a song from an artist, I have purchased rights to listen to that song, and play it at a party, and blast it in my car and even put it in my "vacation to the bahamas" video. Arguing about the above is stupid and pointless.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Even with digital piracy and free streaming music, the music industry still makes a crapload of money. I don't see why they have to be so up tight.

G

well i just use audioswap which has about 40,000 songs for FREE. sure they're not the best but i make videos mainly for their content. the background music not so important. but if it was important to me i might use it on my vids.

randomizer

Distinguished

The more you earn the more you want to earn. But the industry has the right to make money off music (it's in their contract with the artists) so it's understandable that they get their panties in a knot.

Status
Not open for further replies.