Adding a HDD to Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG

TFD8

Estimable
Jul 11, 2015
I recently bought an Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG Laptop. Link. It comes with a SSD and an empty 2.5inch drive bay. I bought a 1TB HDD to put in, but I can't figure out how to secure it. There appears to be no way built into the laptop. I'd really like to add in extra storage. Can anyone help, there appears to be no tutorials anywhere.

TFD8

Estimable
Jul 11, 2015

On the caddy; I'd like to keep my disk drive there, especially since there is an empty spot for a HDD. Second, the video guide is not my laptop. I know how to open it, my issue is how to secure it, as currently the HDD just wiggles around on the connector.

GSindrik

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

Hi, I just bought the same laptop. Did you figure out how to secure it? Also, What goes onto the 4-pin connector on the hard drive? Is it the ribbon cable adhered to the laptop?

Thanks.

arielpg1

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

I also have this question, anyone has found a way to secure the hdd?

Thanks!

pjhoover

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Hello.

Regarding the 4 pins of your hdd. They can be used as a power supply for older computer models or, for newer computer models, the 4 pins can serve as "jumpers" which enable spread spectrum clocking or reduced power spin up. Basically, if you don't have a jack to plug the 4 pins in, don't worry about it, you don't need it. (You can look at this page from western digital:
http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=981#satamobilejump)

Regarding the wobbliness of the drive. I had the same problem and chatted about it with an acer technician from their support site. Apparently you need to order a caddy for the drive. I asked if there was any specific caddy that worked. She couldn't tell me a make or model number b/c apparently they don't have that information available to them? So, I guess take your computer to a brick and motor store and see if they can help. Or does somebody have link of a drive that works?

pjhoover

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
update. I contacted acer support chat again. Apparently it's not a "caddy" but a "HDD support holder" that we are looking for. The woman who was my support technician is sending me out a holder free of charge. I will receive it in 5-7 business days.

JimAF05

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

Do you have a part number for this, by chance? The person I spoke to at Acer had no idea what I was asking for.

pjhoover

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Sorry, I don't. You may want to try again with Acer Chat. The other thing I can do is wait till the parts arrive and see if the package lists the part number. That will be sometime late next week (late july '16). (It may be good to wait anyway just to insure it is the correct part I'm getting).

ravenfan81

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
I would also be interested in this answer.

pjhoover

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Hey all.

My part came from Acer. It was not really what I expected but it works. The part consisted of two thins metal strips coated in plastic. Then the plastic coated metal strips are connected by a thin film of plastic. This thin film of plastic has a plastic pull tab in it. The part also comes with 4 little screws in a wad of tape.

To assemble, you screw the plastic metal strips to either side of your drive. There is only one way to do this and it will wrap the plastic film over the drive so the tab is oriented up. The drive then more or less wedges into place. The plastic pull tab will let you pull the HDD out of the SATA slot.

To be sure, the part is cheap looking. My previous Acers all had metal sleeves that screwed into the HDD and then screwed into the laptop. Still I think it's the right part because 1) it works 2) there are no other places on the inside of the laptop to screw into. Acer did not charge me for the part or to have it shipped. If any of you find out/figure out more than I did, please let me know. Here is the part info.

Part Number: 42.GDEN7.002
Description: HDD Support Holder Assy
Hub Ref: TAU223025
ECCN: EAR99
Harmonize Code: 8473.30.5100

ravenfan81

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
which HDD did you fit in there and do you know which size will fit (7mm vs 9.5mm)?

arielpg1

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Actually that's not enough, I connected my HDD there and it usually stays in place, but sometimes it disconnects, i'm thinking about adding some padding in that spacer to keep the HDD from moving, that would probably work as a workaround.

gmeeks22

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

If I may - how did you open the compartment on the case? I have the same model, removed the 3 screws and tried prying the notched corner up. It didn't budge and I'm afraid to pry too hard if I'm missing a step. How did you do it?

Great info on this thread. Thanks!

arielpg1

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Hello gmeeks22 the lid looks kinda hard, but it won't break i assure you that, if you want to be extra cautious, place a flat screwdriver in the notched corner and do a small leverage, that will make it pop out a little, move the screwdriver close to the part that's still attached and repeat, do that a few times and i'll be out.

Regards,
Ariel

nlonsky

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

I used a credit card and slid it under the corner notch. I then slid it across the long edge (from that corner). The cover wants to tilt up from that corner and long edge.

Nick

spark011

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Hey guys, I'm kind of unfamiliar with these kind of things, but I have the same laptop. I wanted to expand my storage too, but I'm not too sure on what hdd to buy. Can I buy any hdd? If you guys bought one that's compatible, can you guys tell me what drive I should get?