Adding an SSD in conjunction with a HDD to HP ProBook

Jul 9, 2018
I have a HP ProBook 430 G4 with 4GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD. It completely isn't cut out to run even a few chrome tabs with a word document open, let alone run Eclipse with any other program.

I have been thinking of adding another stick of 4GB RAM to bump it up to 8GB and to add an M.2 SSD to run Windows while keeping the HDD as a secondary drive to store files on, much like in my desktop PC.

I know for the RAM it's as simple as making sure the BIOS is up to date before upgrading, but how do I go about putting Windows onto the SSD if I'm not removing the HDD as I wouldn't need to clone my HDD in this case.

Thanks

Solution
If you are going to be using the SSD as the boot drive, which you should, then you would want to clone the original drive to the SSD. If the drive is too large to clone to the SSD you get, then you need to get the correct Windows media for your system to run a clean setup and use the code on the laptop to activate it.
If you are going to be using the SSD as the boot drive, which you should, then you would want to clone the original drive to the SSD. If the drive is too large to clone to the SSD you get, then you need to get the correct Windows media for your system to run a clean setup and use the code on the laptop to activate it.

Solution