Adding speakers to my home theater system

Solution
My initial thought is probably not. More than a matter of just tapping in and adding speakers to make or simulate 7.1.2 if that is your objective.

You must look at wattages and impedance as well.

There are some excellent audio folks within this Forum and very likely that one or two of them may respond to provide additional comment, add insight, or ask more questions.

More information needed:

Would be helpful to know what audio devices you already have and the connections being used.

Maybe even a simple sketch to illustrate the current setup and include where the additional two proposed speakers would be placed and connected.

May 10, 2018

Okay, so my receiver is currently setup as a 5.1.2 with no additional channels. I essentially want to add two more height "Atmos" speakers without changing my receiver. Is it possible to tap into the existing channel or run the speakers in a series? I don't want to lose sound quality or power.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
If your receiver doesn't support Atmos, you're not going to get the added experience that those dedicated channel effects speakers add. Doing what you're inquiring about puts your receiver at risk and is going to degrade your performance. If you want to do Atmos and do it right, you're going to need to buy a new receiver.

May 10, 2018

As previously stated my current setup is a 5.1.2, the ".2" indicates it's already setup for Atmos. So yes, my receiver already supports Atmos, what I'm trying to do is use the existing height or Atmos channels to add 2 additional height speakers without sacrificing quality of sound or power.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
What receiver do you have, specifically? What the all channels driven power rating on your receiver? So I understand it, you're already using those channels but want to tap into the lines to make it what essentially would be a 5.1.4 arrangement? If that's so, I would advise against it. If I'm misunderstanding your explanation, I apologize.

My initial thought is probably not. More than a matter of just tapping in and adding speakers to make or simulate 7.1.2 if that is your objective.

You must look at wattages and impedance as well.

There are some excellent audio folks within this Forum and very likely that one or two of them may respond to provide additional comment, add insight, or ask more questions.

Solution