Adobe Flash Exploit Gave Websites Access to Webcams

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Crap like this is why I always keep my webcam facing the wall when it's not in use, and I have a piece of tape over my laptop's cam.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Weren't Macs supposed to be secure?[/citation]
Just a myth Apple started. In fact, they are somewhat less secure than Windows. Most Mac users don't have an antivirus installed, not to mention Macs are shipped with their firewall off. The reason for few virus infections on Mac is because of how small they are compared to Windows users.

Funny to hear Apple fans say that Macs don't get viruses though :D

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]Funny to hear Apple fans say that Macs don't get viruses though[/citation]

Do Mac users still say that? People also used to say the Earth was flat.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]Just a myth Apple started. In fact, they are somewhat less secure than Windows. Most Mac users don't have an antivirus installed, not to mention Macs are shipped with their firewall off. The reason for few virus infections on Mac is because of how small they are compared to Windows users.Funny to hear Apple fans say that Macs don't get viruses though[/citation]
It is a myth. In a way they are more secure, but only because there is simply less people making viruses for them, and less users to spread those viruses.
And yes Macs used to ship without the firewalls turns on, but I believe that has changed now. At least, the firewalls were turned on the 7 Mac Pros I set up this past week at work.

But anyway, at least Adobe is working on it.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Do Mac users still say that? People also used to say the Earth was flat.[/citation]
Yup. I know quite a lot of people (most of which are my peers) who prefer Macs over PC and claim Macs don't have viruses...

[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]It is a myth. In a way they are more secure, but only because there is simply less people making viruses for them, and less users to spread those viruses.And yes Macs used to ship without the firewalls turns on, but I believe that has changed now. At least, the firewalls were turned on the 7 Mac Pros I set up this past week at work.But anyway, at least Adobe is working on it.[/citation]

I guess, though it seems as though a Mac exploits can be extremely lethal. Invasion of privacy through a webcam is pretty extreme for exploits, not to mention the exploding battery exploit. They still seem unlikely to spread and become common issues.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Do Mac users still say that? People also used to say the Earth was flat.[/citation]

Halcyon, STOP defending Mac users. You don't realise you're an exception. Most of Mac users ARE ignorant illiterate arrogant stubborn zombies who refuse to understand the fact their favourite fruity company is brainwashing them to believe in their innovation instead of really innovating. Defending them - especially in the manner you do - makes you look like a fool, and from all your posts in our home thread I know you aren't, so I don't see why you have to do this.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Blah blah Macs are more secure than Windows, Macs don't get viruses and Macs don't freeze.

Yeah if you believe all that, there is no hope for you, but you're probably too busy playing Angry Birds on your iPhone to even read this, much less understand how technology actually works.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Adobe Flash exploits are nothing new and happen constantly. This one is big news, just because it's Apple news.

btw: He says it doesn't work "on most browsers on Windows". Does that mean it works on at least one?

[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]I guess, though it seems as though a Mac exploits can be extremely lethal. Invasion of privacy through a webcam is pretty extreme for exploits, not to mention the exploding battery exploit. [/citation]

Accessing the webcam is actually less extreme than an exploit that allows you to hijack a computer. (Which is the goal of most exploits)
The exploding battery exploit was a myth. Nobody actually managed to blow up a battery by modifying the firmware.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Can someone tell me why did adobe change it so that the user preferences are accessible though a web page? Flash settings didn't used to be like that, did they? Making that change seems stupid to me.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
ah good ol' adobe flash. whenever you need an application to turn your system vulnurable, adobe flash always delivers.
this isn't about mac, this is about adobe flash compromising your system(whichever platform it may be).
good thing(unless it opens up another flash vulnerability) adobe solved the issue.
i still can't change flash player preferences and the cache options always reset to default. :(
i hope html5 kicks flash's ass.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
He reportedly told Adobe about the gaping hole after it was first discovered, but once a few weeks passed by without any kind of response, he decided to bring the exploit out in the open to force Adobe's hand.

Looks like it worked.
lol serves adobe right.

G

@phatboe

no, the setting was always on adobe website, but few months ago they now have that setting on the control panel also,

hairystuff

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Security through obscurity, never a good practice, and thats also why I liked the old firewire isights, they had a physical shutter on them to prevent perving eyes.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
this is why i use a pc, don't keep my web cam connected (hardly used anyway), and mute my mike.

[citation][nom]vaguedreams[/nom]Why the MAC hate? This is purely Adobe's issue.[/citation]

we're hating on Macs (because it's fun, among other more important things) and not on Media Access Control. :p

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Anyone remembers Titanic ? I think computer security is little like that. You get vulnerable when you think you don't need to care. Some OSes or platforms are more secure simply because force you to use secure practices (remember UAC on Vista). Modern platforms have been designed with security issues already learned and fixed, so it has little sense to discuss the security on platforms as something inherent to the platform. The approach is taken from the user point of view (tell what you want about Mac / Linux lacking AV, but Windows relied on 3rd party software...). I agree that the number of threats relates to the number of users, but security has to do with your own practices and not the platform itself, because sometimes the security flaw comes from social engineering (guessing your password, etc...). Don't want to take out the guilt from adobe, they need to fix that. invent is always easier and faster that the society adapts to the invention, this has to do with human nature and how we will use the invention, just some little time to get our habits clean and safe (as we do with our house keys).

Status
Not open for further replies.