Adobe Goes After Apple in Ad Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Why does the editor of this post seem to dislike flash? HTML5 can only replace flash in the video and audio sector, but games and other multimedia apps still require other means of being created and delivered. Seems that everyone is thinking about this whole flash thing on one side, but flash offers more then just audio and video. I am by no means defending flash, as I love to watch technology roll on no matter what it is. But when it is apparent that people one side things I step in to correct them, but not to defend the product.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I love flash games. Can you make HTML5 games as easily as with flash? Low power devices like ipod, iphones and the ipad can't handle true, hardcore gaming but they COULD be used to play flash games.
But Apple won't let that happen. Because that would be free and not beneficial to them!

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]reddragon72[/nom]Why does the editor of this post seem to dislike flash? HTML5 can only replace flash in the video and audio sector, but games and other multimedia apps still require other means of being created and delivered. Seems that everyone is thinking about this whole flash thing on one side, but flash offers more then just audio and video. I am by no means defending flash, as I love to watch technology roll on no matter what it is. But when it is apparent that people one side things I step in to correct them, but not to defend the product.[/citation]

I agree with you, but you can use HTML 5 (canvas) to create games. Still I'm all for flash, and I'm not even a flash developer. There's too much flash content out there to just throw flash away now.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I would really appreciate reading articles with a lot less opinion in them.

"Adobe is grasping at straws"

"seems somewhat bitter that Jobs and the Gang is preventing consumers from experiencing the one or two joys that Flash can bring on the Internet."

"The assault doesn't stop there. Adobe also issued an online statement, regurgitating the short-but-to-the-point message found in its new ad campaign."

"...addressing Apple's apparent attacks on the company"

Most of what you wrote for this article was blatantly taking Apple's side against Adobe. Even if you choose not to take the approach of a journalist you there are other reasons that it would have been a bit more appropriate to write this differently. If you practiced audience sensitivity, you would have written this either from a middle ground or even in support of Adobe seeing that most of your readers are strongly against Apple in this matter. I have been a loyal Tom's reader for quite some time but this is getting kind of ridiculous. Please stop trying to alienate your readers.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
The only reason Apple is locking out Flash is so they can sell games in their App store. Otherwise they know that most people would just go play the same games on a Flash game site.

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
We [heart] Adobe.

What we don't love is their apparent inability to make their platform actually function well without methods they shouldn't have to use, like GPU acceleration.

Make Flash go on a diet, then come back and complain.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Parrish, your journalism needs more facts and less opinion. While reading your article the reader should not be force fed your own personal opinions, remarks, snide comments, etc......

gfair

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Adobe has only itself to blame. It develops a killer app for the Internet, yet it is lax on security and it let its Air technology stagnate, instead of migrating Flash slowly and steadily towards Air and the greater potential that technology allowed.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]I would really appreciate reading articles with a lot less opinion in them. "Adobe is grasping at straws""seems somewhat bitter that Jobs and the Gang is preventing consumers from experiencing the one or two joys that Flash can bring on the Internet.""The assault doesn't stop there. Adobe also issued an online statement, regurgitating the short-but-to-the-point message found in its new ad campaign.""...addressing Apple's apparent attacks on the company"Most of what you wrote for this article was blatantly taking Apple's side against Adobe. Even if you choose not to take the approach of a journalist you there are other reasons that it would have been a bit more appropriate to write this differently. If you practiced audience sensitivity, you would have written this either from a middle ground or even in support of Adobe seeing that most of your readers are strongly against Apple in this matter. I have been a loyal Tom's reader for quite some time but this is getting kind of ridiculous. Please stop trying to alienate your readers.[/citation]

Haha I can agree with you there.

Here is what I know:

When I saw the phrase "Adobe is grasping at straws", and linked that to the fact that the title of the article had the word "Apple" in it, I IMMEDIATELY knew who wrote this article.

Now if I can read the first two or three lines and pick out the author based on long-term biases, don't you think there is something seriously wrong with the way the article is written?

I only pointed out one of the many instances of biased wording in this article. I have been on Tom's for over a year now, and I really enjoy most of the stuff that is written. It is often helpful, insightful, and fun. But every once in a while I come across something that makes me stop and say "Why?".

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see any kind of professional edict in this article (as well as others written by the same author). This seems more like a personal blog meant to persuade readers and not a tech news article meant to inform the readers.

To sum up what this article throws at me: "Adobe is playing a useless dirty game against the completely innocent Apple. Adobe has no chance of winning anyways because their products/services are only useful for one or two things."

I don't hate you Kevin. I don't even dislike you. I don't care that you really love Apple and their products (I enjoy a few of them myself). I just disagree with the way you handle your journalism.

That is all.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Adobe has stated they will support HTML5 and obviously Flash. They are clearly about Choice where Apple is not. Apple wants to block Flash because as someone else stated, it will compete against their AppStore in the gaming area, taking business from them. They want to control this and sell apps, while giving the user no choice in the matter.

I'm behind Adobe on this. Sure, Flash has security issues and they are working on them, but so does Windows and OSX. Flash used to feel bulky and still does on older computers but it hasn't felt that way in ages. I mean how big is the plugin? 256k? 512k? Maybe up to 1mb now? It's tiny. Very tiny. Just download Apple Quicktime if you want to talk about bulky. 76mb for a video/audio player. I think VLC is 2.5mb and plays it all.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
If it was any other company than Apple, we'd be saying "The product will fail, it doesn't even support "X""

But no, this is Apple, there's Zealots that will buy the products no matter what's missing in them just because it's Apple. Maybe they have a great user interface and that's what sells their products, it just didn't work with me?

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Whether one likes flash or not, or whether it's useful or not, is irrelevant due to its saturation on the web already, people want devices that support the web as-is Apple, as if html5 will absolve flash the day it hits the web in full...

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Adobe is right, Apple is wrong for banning flash. Let the people choose.

Apple is also correct, Flash really really REALLY sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.