Adobe to Apple: Let the Games Begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm just really tired of Flash running like crap in Windows Me!

mofnet

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
apple control the iOS eco-system, adobe control the flash eco-system, it will be interesting to see which "closed system" wins... because make no mistake, flash is also a closed system under the control of one company... people tend to overlook that...

In the ideal world, HTML5 should be the ultimate winner, but really adobe may say nice things about developing tools to create html5, but secretly they want people to keep with flash... apple may say nice things about html5 too, but really they want you to write an app instead with their SDK... so they are no better than each other when it comes to open standards....

unfortunately for the end user, it appears one of them is going to be the end winner....!

mofnet

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
wouldn't it be really weird if in the end microsoft ride in with some open standards html5 based tech the beats the both of them.....! oh wait, i forgot they are peddling that silverlight rubbish!!!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'd like to see adobe as retaliation make the next vertion of photoshop/premiere noncompatable with mac... or delayed for mac 4-5 mnths so all the people who need the latest photoshop for thier industry to switch to windows... claim it took longer to develop the software for the mac

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]mofnet[/nom]apple control the iOS eco-system, adobe control the flash eco-system, it will be interesting to see which "closed system" wins... because make no mistake, flash is also a closed system under the control of one company... people tend to overlook that... In the ideal world, HTML5 should be the ultimate winner, but really adobe may say nice things about developing tools to create html5, but secretly they want people to keep with flash... apple may say nice things about html5 too, but really they want you to write an app instead with their SDK... so they are no better than each other when it comes to open standards....unfortunately for the end user, it appears one of them is going to be the end winner....![/citation]

+20 if I could on that. People do tend to overlook the fact that flash is just as closed as Apple. However, on flash's behalf.. They do not tend to make the funny little comments that Jobs makes. And speaking of which.. I wonder how how big Apple's PR team is.. And how much drama his comments cause them. :p

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]lifelesspoet[/nom]I could not care less about apple and adobe's petty bickering, Just want to live in a world were i don't require either of them.[/citation]
Well, you don't require Apple, so you're 50% there. As for Adobe... will see.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I really don't like Flash and hope that it goes away soon. On the other hand I don't think Apple should dictate what applications people can or can't run on their own devices. This is a Catch-22 at least for me.

mofnet

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
@g00fysmiley: unfortunately that idea is not really open to adobe as nearly half of their company revenue is generated from mac owners (according to adobe's own published accounts figures..). as a percentage of use, the mac platform is far far less piracy on it than the windows platform does... so although there is obviously many more people using photoshop etc etc on pc's, a lot fewer of them have actually coughed up money for it...! thats how ironic this whole adobe - apple thing really is..... strange to say the least....

just a personal opinion, i really think one day apple will re-aquire adobe in a buy-out... perhaps to bolster the attractiveness of the mac platform (the exact opposite of what you suggest above).. apple could buy adobe several times over in cash terms... and adobe know this which is why they are desperately trying to ally themselves with anybody who will listen just now!!!!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
My opinion, i honestly have no problems with flash, it runs smooth and well for me.

The only concern i have is about it's privacy, i hear a lot about privacy problems when it comes to flash. (But i'm cautious about content before i allow it access)

bwohl

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Thanks to Zenga - Flash is the DEVIL!!!!

My wife on her new smoker I built: "Farmville keeps blue-screening, this new PC sucks...."

Me: "Play Fallout:Vegas, look...no crashes...Facebook sucks...."

G

If Fallout:Vegas made you computer blue-screen, would you blame C++? That's about the same as blaming flash for crappy software built with it.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks that capitalism in the electronics and computing industry, does stimulate competitive pricing (benefiting the consumer), but also is responsible for stifling innovation (beneficial to none)? In any other industry, competition always breeds better products for better prices, or else one will always come out on top and prosper. In the computing world, it seems that competition just breeds patent wars on processes, which does little to stimulate growth of the market, which in turn would lead to more competition, which would ultimately benefit us, the consumer.
Metaphor time:
Car companies, founded on internal combustion, developed efficiency, power battles, safety, reliability. Patented designs of similar features, allows innovation to develop new methods of achieving more efficiency, power, safety, reliability.
Computing companies, founded on rudimentary electrical processes, developed architectures, processes, methods of code. Patented these codes, architectures, processes. Leads to what? Nothing. It is dead, right there. Makes little sense. Almost like if Ford decided to patent internal combustion and steering.
I hope I am wrong, but that is how it looks through my eyes.

rattyuk

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]+20 if I could on that. People do tend to overlook the fact that flash is just as closed as Apple. However, on flash's behalf.. They do not tend to make the funny little comments that Jobs makes. And speaking of which.. I wonder how how big Apple's PR team is.. And how much drama his comments cause them.[/citation]
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]+20 if I could on that. People do tend to overlook the fact that flash is just as closed as Apple. However, on flash's behalf.. They do not tend to make the funny little comments that Jobs makes. And speaking of which.. I wonder how how big Apple's PR team is.. And how much drama his comments cause them.[/citation]

So would Adobe... The problem is they tried this... Which is why Apple isn't happy. Unfortunately for Adobe, most designers still prefer Macs. Adobe were big and lazy and assumed that Microsoft won the desktop war. It's a real pain for Adobe to deliver stuff using Apple's tools because it means that Adobe have to do two separate builds instead of pressing a single go button.

Adobe bought all this on themselves.

G

@mofnet

nice pipe dream there, because MS would sit happily by and let apple acquire adobe, heck i think even Google might have a thing or two to say about that too, but oh wait apple has so much money im sure they can pull it off without sweating

as for less piracy on the mac.... yeah im probably going get stick for this but, well the average Joe Mac out there has problems performing anything that doesn't have a wizard attached to it. Im also pretty sure adobe encourages to some extent piracy, normal users can't afford the Photoshop seminars and courses out there, piracy allows a Photoshop enabled workforce and cements their strangle hold on the media production market, any media production house worth their salt is going be running legit copies, just like MS, they know there is a seriously large contingent of pirate MS office suite out there, but as long as they are learning and familiar with MS office then it ensures that their work place will be using it as well, so they dont aggressively pursue them

jabberwolf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Apple is practicing antitrust and against anti-competitive laws.
ITS ILLEGAL !!

They are allowing some vendors on their OS while prohibiting others ... by actually creating sabotage code and going out of their way to prohibit that vendor.

Imagine if Microsoft tried to ban flash from Windows !!!! I'm not talking about "not supporting" but actively prohibiting it.

jabberwolf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
@ scuba dave

Apple did that (a little bit) already
CS4 was not able to run on the new OSX under 64 bit mode. It would only run CS4 in 64 bit mode on Windows 64 bit OSes. Many professionals simple switched to Microsoft. Oh and loved it ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.