JAMESWANN4361

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
I have always owned Apple's iPhones from there very first release to the iPhone 6S Plus 128GB. This time when it came to my turn to upgrade I threw caution to the wind and got the new Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge. I got it for the free Oculus VR Headset that came with it and because of the expandable storage. It comes with 32GB internal storage and, I think, she told me I could add another 200GB or so giving me plenty of storage. Well, the 32GB wasn't nearly enough. He'll, I used it up before I got through with the setup. I read about how to take steps to convert the storage to adoptable storage and followed the directions for the conversion as if I were Mr. Samsung Galaxy himself! When I was finished, according to the instructions on how to check, I had succeeded in making the conversion. It did not show an external SD card but, in fact, showed just short of 200GB of internal storage. YAYEEEEE! So I thought...it wasn't long before I started getting warnings that my internal storage was almost full but my settings indicated I still had buttloads of storage. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I DID WRONG?!?!? I have looked at everything I know to look at but cannot find the problem. I really like the Oculus VR Headset and want to continue to enjoy using it. I'm also trying to learn how to convert movies and television shows I own to the 3D VR viewing format. If someone knows what I could have done wrong or have heard of this problem from other Galaxy Edge owners please help me. I don't want to have to take this phone back but I also use many music recording and mixing apps that use tons of storage and I make money with what I do using those apps. The VR is just for my personal amusement. (So far) thanks and God bless for listening (reading) my problematic rhetoric.

In His grip,
James Wann

Solution
It sounds like that phone may not allow for making and "External" "Internal" storage instead. Some manufacturers block this ability on most of their phones. The following is the way to do it, the correct way. However if the phone is running anything older than Android "Marshmallow" then it wouldn't work.

Again, note, if the phone has been restricted by the manufacturer, then either this won't work for you, or steps will be missing.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device)...
It sounds like that phone may not allow for making and "External" "Internal" storage instead. Some manufacturers block this ability on most of their phones. The following is the way to do it, the correct way. However if the phone is running anything older than Android "Marshmallow" then it wouldn't work.

Again, note, if the phone has been restricted by the manufacturer, then either this won't work for you, or steps will be missing.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution