Ads in Free Apps Found to Swallow Up to 75% of Your Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
So, showing ads consume more power than all the physic calculations and drawing the hardware has to do....... so angry birds without the ads is actually power efficient. We will see shortly in Google Play apps that say: want the app without ads and actually save battery? pay for it!

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
And this is why android still sucks so much. Its just such an unfinished platform its amazing it can run for more than 1/2 an hour at a time without crashing.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]And this is why android still sucks so much. Its just such an unfinished platform its amazing it can run for more than 1/2 an hour at a time without crashing.[/citation]
Trollalalalalala......

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]victorintelr[/nom]So, showing ads consume more power than all the physic calculations and drawing the hardware has to do....... so angry birds without the ads is actually power efficient. We will see shortly in Google Play apps that say: want the app without ads and actually save battery? pay for it![/citation]
It is not showing them that drains power, is the network activity that does it; activating the radios (3G, Wi-Fi) to pull the ads is the culprit.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]It is not showing them that drains power, is the network activity that does it; activating the radios (3G, Wi-Fi) to pull the ads is the culprit.[/citation]
AKA: Showing you the ads...

Silly Boots

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
So ads make up 75% of an application's power usage. In the end that is honestly probably about 2-5% of my total battery drain, as my screen, and cell standby take up about 90% of the battery usage. And then of course the OS uses a little...

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
just buy the game... (i only use the pay-for version... which means, i guess, i don't buy alot of apps. I knew there was a reason that I only buy/ use the paid apps... (originally it was cause i did not want to see ads...)

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I can believe it...

when I have a bunch of tabs open I sometimes find some of the adds using up to 75% CPU power on my Q6600 @ 3.3GHz

thats just plain stupid and too hard to find Which add / pages are sucking the power -.-

also wish browsers would give a feature to show which pages are producing sound !!!!

e-z

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Those that are saying to just turn data off/go offline. It doesn't work. If the game can't connect to download the ads, it won't let you play.

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I can believe it whenever I use a GPS App e.g. GPS Drive it sucks the bttery dry in no time flat, but just turn-off Location Services (iPhone) or Use GPS Satellite (Android).

If you really want to kill your fiends phones keep locating them constantly while yours is plugged-in.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]hamptonernest[/nom]My co-worker's mom makes $74 hourly on the internet. She has been fired from work for 8 months but last month her pay was $17538 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on >>>>>>>LazyCash14.com[/citation]
and you get hundreds on trolling here

is you're co worker a troll too?

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]pearsondaphne[/nom]my classmate's ex-wife brought home $12259 the previous week. she been making cash on the computer and bought a $368600 home. All she did was get lucky and put into work the information given on this site >>> http://smrls.tk/6a[/citation]
so you still know you're classmate's ex-wife

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I was listening to a guy talking about how and why he chose different ad services and he said that google ads would actually send usage each time an ad showed up, rather than on start up or once a week (his preference). I wonder about Microsofts ads.

Also, all of the tests were done on android I beleive.

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
The same people crying about poor battery life probably have their phone on WiFi, 3G, and BT all day long. What's a little more drain for ads. = )

Status
Not open for further replies.