Advice: Cost effective "gaming" laptop

Just1ChanceFree

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
Hi y'all, I'm looking to get the most for my money and trying to keep it under $800 but I'm considering options all the way down the $200 Stream 11 or looking at older models like the Thinkpad T420 I found on Woot.

My priority is really gaming ability for cost. My wife wants to have something she can play games with me on, but I suspect she probably isn't super serious and I want to throw as little money into it as possible and still give her a pleasant experience in lighter-resource games. It will probably end up being an extra laptop for excel and modeling, so lightweight and portable is the secondary priority. Spec targets by order of priority:

Windows 7 or more recent windows.
CPU and GPU performance for the money invested; I have been using passmark benchmarks for comparison (CPU Link) (GPU Link) and ideally I want something in the 2500-4000 CPU benchmark range, and after that focus is on maximizing the GPU performance for gaming speed, but best GPU performances I can find in this budget are like ~500. My desktop from 2007 gets ~1000 :(
4 GB RAM min, 6+ is ideal.
11-14 inch; ideally with full-size keyboard.
No brand affinity whatsoever. Touchscreen/SSHD/resolution is all perks, but don't care.

Any input on what models to look at would be great! Thanks!

Solution
Couple of others from Lenovo if you want the cheapest ones, Y series, but that jumps up to about $800

i5 or i7 with GT840M or M250 or better.

TRENDING THREADS