Advice for Blu-Ray Watching & HDD Storage

jolietjerry

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
I was looking for advice in two areas.

First, I didn't realize that I could not just pop in a Blu-Ray disc and watch it in my newly built PC. What are the best options for making this possible?

Second, part of the reason I built this PC was to start transferring all my Blu-rays and DVDs onto hard drives so I can stream my movies directly from the PC to my projector. What will I need to be able to accomplish this other than large amounts of hard drive space?

Thanks to all who offer their input!

My build:

LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
i5 4670K
Asus Z87 Pro
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866
Hyper 212 Evo
EVGA ACX GTX 780
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD
Corsair HX750
Windows 8.1 - 64 bit

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014
1) powerdvd 13 is one of the better ones even plays 3d
2) easiest way makeMKV to rip handbrake to cut down in size won't lose any quality. Then just a hdmi cable to the projector would be the easiest way.

jolietjerry

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014

I read some reviews of PowerDVD13 where people stated it has some nasty anti-piracy software attached to it that blocks you from creating physical copies for your own use. Have you heard this and would it effect ripping the files in any way?

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

That's the program that I use right now to play the Blurays and I have not had any problems ripping with either MakeMKV or dvdfab. Do you remember where you saw that so I can look into that?

jolietjerry

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014

It was here in these Amazon reviews. They're talking about the Cinavia copy protection that's included in the software. Also, what have you heard about ByteCopy vs MakeMKV? Not doubting your success with MakeMKV at all, just always interested in having as much info on my side as possible before making a decision :)

Amazon Reviews

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

Ahh ya that is annoying I have not yet run into any disks that have it on them yet but if you did you should still be able to play the file wit VLC or such as it only prevents playback in players that support Cinivia. Unfortunately I think all of the big players will eventually implement Cinavia.

I can't help you with the bytecopy as I haven't used it but I have heard good things about it