Advice for Gaming Laptop Build

carrikerbm

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Looking to build a gaming laptop for roughly 2k $. I know, laptops arent as good as towers for gaming, but my other requirements means I need to have a laptop. Size doesn't really matter, i have chosen a 15.6 because of price and I have been ok with it in the past. could go towards 17, but only if it is a worthwhile jump.

Timeline: now, a few of the companies are backed up about a month, so they are out of the question.

here is what I am thinking, from XoticPC

Sager NP9150/Clevo P150EM

Processor: Sager - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM, 2.4-3.5GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache) (SKU - S2R202)

Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 675M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology [User Upgradeable] (SKU – S3R518)

Ram: 12GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (3 SODIMMS) (SKU - S4R557)

SSD Drive: 40GB Intel 310 Series mSATA SSD - Preconfigured for Intel SRT ( Smart Response Technology )

HD: 500gb 7200rpm (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) - Default (SKU - S5R207)

Optical Drive: 6x Blu-Ray Read/8X DVDRW Super Multi Combo Drive - Special! (SKU - S7P557)

Questions:
Any additions i should consider? Upgrade the stock network card? the stock sound card? I am thinking about using it as a bluray player.
Any of the things that should be upgraded or downgraded? I have roughly 50$ worth of upgrade space, more if some things move around and would go up to 50$ over if worth it.

Thanks very much for the suggestions. Sorry to be dumb in this area, not my particular skill set, but want to learn more.

mitunchidamparam

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
With the launch of AMD 7800 M series mobile GPU i think going with the 7800 or the 7900 series will give you better performance and the 7000 series have a feature called zero power consumption , where when you have your laptop running but the GPU is in idle and the GPU consumes 3 W of power or less.
This will give you a incredible battery life.
The Alieanware comes with this GPU, but I dont know what other laptops have these GPU.
I dont live in US so i can only comment on your build, some can help you find a laptop and I will comment on it later.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Okay, I think I've got your laptop solution here. At the website eurocom.com they have the neptune 2.0 (others who have seen my laptop replies will be very well versed in my reccomendation for this laptop)
It has the following. Ivybridge cpu, new Wimbleton GPU (7970m) and everything else for about 1904(2008 with blu-ray drive) according to my specifications. Now, I'll greatly discourage you from adding an SSD from this product, since they are sold at a high premium. You would be better off getting one from a different online store and installing yourself, however you can get the hybrid HDD from this build and you'll get the performance you'll expect from using an SSD with intel SRT.
Final remarks: 8GB of ram is more than enough for anything you'll be doing. Adding a third DIMM won't increase speed, regardless. Also, I would call over to eurocom to make sure that they have this laptop in stock to ship out, and aren't just accepting preorders right now.

carrikerbm

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

For lack of understanding, that "slot" on Xotic has either a 40 or an 80gb, which could be used for the OS only. the 80 is 200$ vs the 100$ of the 40. Or I could just scrap it and only have a SSD for the drive, but the price starts going up real quick.

mitunchidamparam

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
As stingstang said just buy your laptop without a SSD and you can upgrade to an SSD yourself and you can get a 60GB SSD for 50-60 euro in the market.
I have a 128 GB SSD for 100 euro in my old laptop and it gave me a big perfomance boost.
It boots in 30 sec instead of 2 min.
Browser and apps load faster.
My SSD is like 60 GB full within 2 weeks.
So I would really recommend a SSD more than 40 GB.
Can you please give me a link to the website where you are going to buy laptop?

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
3rd gen cpu capable is great...but you're not going to find yourself upgrading it yourself. It also doesn't have the new gpu which just came out with a ~40% boost in performance to the GTX675m.