Advice for selling older Gaming Laptop

ajblackie

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Back in '08 when starting up at college I got myself the Asus G50v-a1 Republic of Gamers laptop. As of recently I've built a desktop to take over for me and don't find myself using the laptop so much. Still runs great and I've upgraded from the Vista it came with to Win7.

The advice I seek is how much you guys think this rig is worth today, and what steps I can take to get the most for it?

I know I'm not going to get anything near what I paid for it. But unless I'm reading the GPU hierarchy charts wrong it looks like it still beats out the integrated graphics of even ivy bridge, so if someone is wanting a machine with decent gpu power without having to spend a grand or more I think is my market.

Here's a link to the machine for specs and reference- though I got mine through xoticpc (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-220-378&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1#scrollFullInfo)

Would it be wise to do another upgrade to Win8? I know a lot of people are against it for whatever reasons they have but with the increased performance/reduced resource requirements would it help get some more life out of the rig? Also I've had an issue trying to get the Win7 SP1 to install so if anyone has any tips there as well they're more than welcome. I've tried everything I have found posted as a solution and wonder if it's just not meant to be. I've even ordered the Win7 SP1 disc from Microsoft and still no dice.

This was my first laptop and it'll be the first one I sell too so I'm new to this and any advice is very much welcome! Thanks a lot guys, you've never let me down.

Solution
Depends on how soon you want to sell it. You could probably get rid of it quickly for 200 or you could wait and get 400-500. I would sell list it at 250 and sell it for 200 on craigslist. Others would list it at 500 and sit on it for a while and probably sell it for 400.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I wouldn't bother getting windows 8. As for the windows 7 SP1, let the buyer figure it out, since they are likely to reinstall the OS anyways.

I think you can probably get ~$300 for your laptop.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Depends on how soon you want to sell it. You could probably get rid of it quickly for 200 or you could wait and get 400-500. I would sell list it at 250 and sell it for 200 on craigslist. Others would list it at 500 and sit on it for a while and probably sell it for 400.

Solution

reBOOT-PCTek

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Hey I'd list out the specs give a bit of history on it in the ad, list it at 350 and take 300-325, without having to sit on it for too long.... get what you can get however you do it!