Advice needed between two gaming laptops

calador

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
Hi,

I have finally narrowed it down to two laptops and i'd be grateful for any advice/feedback the community can give me to decide which to go for.

As far as usage is concerned, the computer will primarily be used for gaming and the occasional video editing.

Option 1: ASus GL752VW
i7 6700
1TB hard disk
4GB DDR4 Ram
17.3" FHD LED screen
GTX 960M 4GB DDR5
Single fan

Option 2: MSI GL62 6QF
i7 6700
1TB hard disk
12GB DDR4 RAM
15.6" FHD LED Viva Colour 94%
GTX 960M 2GB DDR5
Twin boost fans at the back

Prices difference is around $100 between the two (Asus more exp).

The question I keep asking is whether the extra 2GB GPU RAM on the Asus is worth the money or would the additional 8GB Ram on the MSI be better. Furthermore, will the fans make a whole lot of difference? I'd prefer the bigger screen size but not a deal breaker.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Solution
Yes they both support 4K.
Asus also has multi monitor support and you can do gaming on built in monitor while watching movies on other 2 monitors.but asus don't call it some technology as it's a normal thing. (you can do that by connecting one monitor to Mini Display port and the other to HDMI port).
about the ventilation i should say it's fit the laptop , asus use the right vent where it's needed , as you may know asus has laptops with liquid cooling systems , so asus recognized this laptop that it wont need dedicated fan for GPU and CPU and a single quiet and powerful fan could take care of the whole thing.
but anyway both are the same in many factors but consider the Graphic VRAM and price and go with each you want.
again : graphic...

iXeon

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
I'd go with Asus , cause :
1-you can upgrade the RAM at a acceptable price but the graphic is built in to the laptop and cannot be changed.
2-4G ddr5 would be a further proofed system that can handle games in the future.
3-Asus has more experience in gaming laptops.
4-asus ventilation system is more quiet then others
5-asus has a bigger display that is better for gaming experience

calador

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016

Thanks for the feedback. I actually did more digging and found that the screen for the Asus is inferior to the Msi.
Furthermore, the ventilation is definitely not as good as the MSI product. However, I note your point regarding the 4gb GPU . Is it that important? How does 2gb stack up to the 4gb?

iXeon

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
Where did you read about the ventilation?
and yes graphic memory is important however other specification about the graphic are the same between the two but 4GB VRAM is going to handle more games in the future than 2GB VRAM.
about the display i just meant the size, not the quality of it. but in total i think asus is a better option.
and if you would want to go with MSI i should tell you that MSI has a version with 4GB GDDR5 of VRAM too.
read about the MSI graphic VRAM in here:
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GL62-6QF.html#hero-specification)

iXeon

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
Yes they both support 4K.
Asus also has multi monitor support and you can do gaming on built in monitor while watching movies on other 2 monitors.but asus don't call it some technology as it's a normal thing. (you can do that by connecting one monitor to Mini Display port and the other to HDMI port).
about the ventilation i should say it's fit the laptop , asus use the right vent where it's needed , as you may know asus has laptops with liquid cooling systems , so asus recognized this laptop that it wont need dedicated fan for GPU and CPU and a single quiet and powerful fan could take care of the whole thing.
but anyway both are the same in many factors but consider the Graphic VRAM and price and go with each you want.
again : graphic card is a built in option and cannot be changed but RAM is a upgrade able option and can be upgraded at any moment with low cost.

Solution