Advice on an old, non-working HP DV6 series Laptop

CG1138

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
I have an old laptop, an HP DV-6408nr Pavilion. It doesn't power up or show any signs of life, aside from the blue ring surrounding the power input which glows when the unit is plugged in.

I think this was one of the units affected by the defective NVidia card. When it started acting up, the unit would power up but not get past the POST screen, I believe. It's been awhile so I don't remember the exact problem.

A roommate took it without asking to see if it could be fixed. Long story short, we had a falling out and when it was returned, it wouldn't even power on. So there's no telling what he did to it.

What should I do with this laptop? It's in really good shape. I know the wifi doesn't work and I imagine the motherboard is fried in some way.

I found replacement mobos online that run from $60 on up, but of course I do not know that simply replacing the motherboard will fix it.

Should I sell it as is on Ebay? Is there somewhere that will diagnosis it for free?

I would like to see if I can take out the DVD writer and see if there is a conversion cable that will convert it's connection (I do not know what that connection is) to a USB so I can connect it to a netbook as I do not have a DVD writer now.

At the same time I would like to fix this since the unit has decent specs.

Just looking for advice.

Thanks!

Ebay "for parts", with detailed description of what you this works or not, is your best choice. You can probably reuse the hard drive (by pluggin it into an enclosure), and RAM sticks.
There is no easy way to convert built-in DVD drive to USB. You can get USB DVD-RW for as little as $25.

p.p. Just checked the specs: 1.8GHz AMD Turion, 1GB RAM, 160GB SATA hard drive - there is nothing great in this laptop. Do not spend any money to repair it.