Advice on buying college/gaming laptop

JedJTL

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015
I'm currently a very busy commuter college student, so I was looking for a laptop for school and for gaming possibly, I already have a beautiful desktop that I game on but the problem is that I have satellite internet and that most likely is not going to change for a long time thus until I go on to get a bachelors degree and get a dorm I cannot game online anymore with my desktop.

Thats why I am looking at gaming laptops, now don't get me wrong desktops for gaming are better in every way possible but I need to be able to have a portable computer, one that I will be able to play games like Far Cry 4 with my brother. My budget currently is about $1200 but I really wish I did not have to spend that much (damn you portability! lol).

My current choices are possibly the alienware 13 or 15 mainly because they are bit more affordable and have that awesome amp. I like the idea of the amp because it looks like it would extend the life of the laptop from 2 years to at least 5 years.

Alienware 15 new http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-15-r2/pd?ref=PD_OC#overrides=dkcwf02m:29~PRSN2

Alienware 13 new http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-13-r2/pd?ref=PD_Family

Any advice would be appreciated the stress of finding a new pc sucks along with the stress of Algebra in school. If you have any other solutions besides a gaming laptop like a pc console with a very portable monitor i'll look into it.

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
well those seem to be good laptops, and dell seems to have good customer service once you have spent about 1 grand on them, so that seems to be a good idea. the boost from a 960m to a 965m is huge (+~400 cudacores), so the 15 one might be a better idea.

JedJTL

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015
I bought the laptop and am loving it so far. One thing about it that takes some adjustment is that there is no numpad but I'm ok with this as I mainly need it for gaming and design. One other thing MAKE SURE TO GET EXTENDED WARRANTY! I'm sure this laptop will last me awhile but don't take any chances and make sure to get a good warranty on it.