Advice on new high-end gaming laptop

Alomir

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I'm finally going to make the move from a desktop to a laptop computer, so I've been investigating high-end laptops. No surprise, there are a lot of things to consider; any advice from the think tank here would be appreciated.

Info:
1. What is your budget?
About $3000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Either 17" or 18"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1900x1080 or 1900x1200

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Definitely a desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not a major concern - 60 minutes would be enough

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
So, the point here is to play them on the highest settings I can. I'd like some confidence that I'll likely still be able to do it with new games that come out in the near future.
- World of Warcraft
- Skyrim
- Diablo III
- Assassin's Creed: Revelations

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I do work from home a lot - software programming, for which I often try to cram as much on the screen at one time as I can, in small font size. If it matters from one brand to the other, screen clarity is important.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500-750GB, I think.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I'm open to any suggestions.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Probably ~3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No particular needs here.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No preferences.

13. What country do you live in?
US.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Stability and reliability are important, too; a laptop is worth nothing if it's not there when you need it. (Not that that is unique to laptops...)

Also - can anyone give me a reasonable comparison of the high-end processors that are available today? I'd be happy if it were just a comparison of the Intel chips.

Thanks!