Advice on purchasing new laptop for video streaming/editing?

rebekah278

Estimable
Nov 26, 2015
Hi all,

I currently own a Toshiba satellite laptop with an intel inside i3 processor, 500gb hard drive and 4gb RAM. I only purchased it a few months ago for around $500 but it runs very slow and frequently freezes whenever I am streaming and editing videos.
I have a HP laptop with basically the same specs but it is several years old and it has been running better with streaming and editing than the new Toshiba one – but because it is old, it is still slow.
I am looking at upgrading to a good quality laptop that will last a few years and handle lots of video streaming and editing but I am just wanting to find out what specs I need to get (what processor, hard drive size and RAM)?
I’m hoping to spend around the $800 mark if possible, and really can’t afford anything more than $1000. What do you recommend?

Thanks

Solution
This is about as good as you can do on your budget:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-GeForce/dp/B015PYYDMQ
The quad core CPU will really help with video editing as will the GPU if you use GPU acceleration.
More RAM and hard drive space would be better, but really don't fit your budget. You can always get some external drives or upgrade.

My personal recommendation would be to get a desktop: they are much more stable for things like video editing and for the same price, you can usually get a much more capable system.

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
This is about as good as you can do on your budget:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-GeForce/dp/B015PYYDMQ
The quad core CPU will really help with video editing as will the GPU if you use GPU acceleration.
More RAM and hard drive space would be better, but really don't fit your budget. You can always get some external drives or upgrade.

My personal recommendation would be to get a desktop: they are much more stable for things like video editing and for the same price, you can usually get a much more capable system.

Solution

prtaylorwichita

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Calculagator was dead on. I have built systems for editing on a budget, I work for a nonprofit and never put anything less than 4*s in a box. You can get what you need and expand as budget allows you to add memory, hard drives, etc. You can build good hardware yourself much cheaper in a desktop form factor. Even smaller form factor towers gives you much more flexibility and expandability than a laptop.

If you need a system that is portable you may be stuck with the laptop. But don't rule out refurbished or off lease systems from reputable vendors, it's like buying a used car, you can let someone else take the bleeding edge hit on their pocket book. Reputable vendors often get factory or manufacturer certified refurbishers to recondition hardware and many offer 1 year warranties plus most include the OS.