After effects running laggy :(

GAGAN 55

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Sorry if I am asking this question at the wrong place. So I am editing a 4k 60fps 2.5D image on after effects with my ryzen 1700+32gb ram+gtx 1080 and it's very laggy. Is this normal or is this not good? Please explain to me because I am new to after effects.

Thank you for your time
Gagan

Solution
Please define what you mean by editing. Are you adding effects or simply trimming the video clip? If you are adding effects to 4K video then that could be a source of the problem. Is the source file, the video you are editing, and After Effects located on the same drive or different drives? Having the source file on the same drive as After Effects and the OS may be potential source of the lagging. 4K video can be quite taxing on a system when editing. How large (file size) is the clip or rather what is the clip duration?
Please define what you mean by editing. Are you adding effects or simply trimming the video clip? If you are adding effects to 4K video then that could be a source of the problem. Is the source file, the video you are editing, and After Effects located on the same drive or different drives? Having the source file on the same drive as After Effects and the OS may be potential source of the lagging. 4K video can be quite taxing on a system when editing. How large (file size) is the clip or rather what is the clip duration?

Solution