After Effects worth it??

clueless404

Estimable
Mar 19, 2014
Hi guys!

I'm a big video editor, and I'm looking to expand my knowledge a lot and make a job out of it. I have done professional video editing work before, and have found some things I don't quite understand yet, and would love to learn.

I'm currently using Sony Vegas Pro 12. It works great, but I have heard that Adobe AE is better for professional, advanced use. Should I buy AE? And if so, which version?

Thank you a lot!! Your input is very helpful

iamacow

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Years ago Apples Final Cut was the best but it took a cr*p in the last 7 years while Adobe got it's act together and upgraded Premiere. After Effects has always been good and can do just about anything.

Unless you want to do some special effects I don't see a real reason to switch, though I wouldn't ever switch back.

clueless404

Estimable
Mar 19, 2014
Thank you!!

I use special fx occasionally- however I use 3D title text intros, etc. and other 'flashy/fancy' templates or generators often. Is AE good for that?

Thanks again!

Yes, AE is good for 3D title text intros and much, much more. Regarding your first post, AE was never intended to be used as a video editor. You can bring in clips to add special effects and manipulate the clips in other ways. It is meant to compliment Premiere or other editing programs but not replace them.

clueless404

Estimable
Mar 19, 2014
Thank you!!

If I choose to buy AE, where is the best way to buy it? I'd want to install it on more than one computer since I may get a new one in a few years, and I would like to tap into Photoshop as well- maybe a bundle pack?

Is the Adobe website the best place to buy it, or should I look to some other place to buy?

Thanks!

The current version of After Effects is available only through Adobe Creative Cloud so you would have to go through Adobe to get it.

A Photoshop subscription (includes latest version of Lightroom desktop, mobile, and web) is $9.99 per month and an AE subscription is $19.99 per month. To get everything it would be $49.99 per month. See the link above for more details on each plan. If you are a student, with the proper ID, you can get a discounted rate.

Not that I am aware of. The plus side is that you get the updates as they are rolled out without paying an additional fee. For example I got the update today from CC 2014 to 2015.

clueless404

Estimable
Mar 19, 2014

Awesome. I'll check that out. Thank you!! Is there anything else I should know?

clueless404

Estimable
Mar 19, 2014

Great. Thank you so much! It helped a lot.