Question After Entering Proxy Address and Port, Clicking "OK" Does Nothing

Jul 11, 2019
Hi Guys,

This seems like a helpful forum for various computer problems. So, hopefully, one of you wizards can help me resolve a certain issue.

In Chrome, when I click Settings > Advanced > Open proxy settings > Connections > LAN settings, and check "Use a proxy server for your LAN ...", then enter the proxy address and port in the relevant fields and click "OK", nothing happens. The LAN Settings modal just remains on the screen and I either have to click "Cancel" or the "X" to close it. I've connected to the proxy in question before without any problem. It's the same result with all the other browsers on this computer. Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? I've already restarted the computer to no avail. HELP!

Thanks.

P.S. The problem is actually occurring on a Win10 desktop, not a laptop. But there doesn't seem to be any forum dedicated to desktops.

Saga Lout

Olde English
You need to obtain an IP address from a VPN outfit and that's what you're asked to enter into the setup. Sometimes it's better to ask yourself why you don't want to display your own address when you're online.

Spammers and scammers use masked addresses and they aren't welcome here.

Jul 11, 2019
You need to obtain an IP address from a VPN outfit and that's what you're asked to enter into the setup. Sometimes it's better to ask yourself why you don't want to display your own address when you're online.

Spammers and scammers use masked addresses and they aren't welcome here.
Perhaps I've misunderstood your intent, but it feels like you're accusing me of being a spammer or scammer.

I just want help with the issue. It has nothing to do with not wanting to reveal my IP address. I work with a crowdtesting outfit that checks websites for various problems. Sometimes we (the testers) have to use their proxy to check their clients' websites, because the sites don't work right if they detect that the computer is outside of the US.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

If anyone else can shed some light on the cause of the issue, I would certainly appreciate it.

Jul 11, 2019

It is merely a statement of fact.
I simply came here seeking help on an issue I'm having with my desktop PC. I can connect to the proxy of the organization with which I work okay on my laptop, but since it's running Windows 7, it is not an in-scope device on which to test the client's website.

Sooner or later, you may need help with something, and out of the blue someone will accuse you of having some ulterior motive. Life's funny like that.

Thanks for nothing.

Unfortunately we do get people asking for help with things that we don't help with or that they are up to something underhanded. Due to this we have to be careful of the information we address and what we help others do.

It is site policy that all posters err on the side of caution rather than share information that is prohibited.

Reactions: abajan
Jul 11, 2019
Unfortunately we do get people asking for help with things that we don't help with or that they are up to something underhanded. Due to this we have to be careful of the information we address and what we help others do.

It is site policy that all posters err on the side of caution rather than share information that is prohibited.
Okay, no problem. That's quite understandable. And it's a much better reply than that from Saga Lout. Out of the blue they assumed I was up to no good and stated that "Sometimes it's better to ask yourself why you don't want to display your own address when you're online ... Spammers and scammers use masked addresses and they aren't welcome here." And then later compounded it with "It is merely a statement of fact."

Apparently, it didn't even occur to them that there are other reasons for using a proxy than hiding one's IP. I'm still scratching my head wondering how they were allowed to become a moderator here. I even reported their first reply, because it was beyond ridiculous!

Anyway, thanks and have a good day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 5
S Laptop Tech Support 4
G Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
bubesz94 Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
X Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1