After installing a new SSD to an Acer Aspire 5820TG I am getting black screen with a blinking cursor

tyfferegle

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Hi everyone!

My fathers old laptop was getting really slow, so I ordered an HDD caddy and one Kingston Sandforce 240GB SSD. I installed the components, and installed Windows 8.1. After doing this I Installed some software like a web browser, anti-virus etc. Then I ran Windows update and let it install 46 Updates (roughly 900 MB). Then I used DRP.SU to install drivers, but when it came to the last driver, the graphics card driver, it shut down suddenly. When trying to turn it back on it just gives me the black screen with a blinking underscore.

What I have tried: I have tried installing windows again, but I still get the black screen with a blinking underscore even before I can get going on the installation. I've tried alt+f8 and I've tried shift+f10, still nothing.
I have also tried removing the HDD which is seated in the HDD caddy, and that didnt work either.

Any other suggestions?

Best regards
Even Søsveen
Norway

tyfferegle

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

Yes, that is what I mean. I tried booting the DVD with Windows 8.1 installed on it, but it still will not go past the black screen with the blinking underscore.

hans_pcguy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Usually a blinking cursor means that the hard drive is busy or that the bus is busy/very slow/stuck. I would try taking the ssd out and then trying to boot to dvd. then put the ssd back in. that might clear it up. sorry about no caps my button is being stubborn.

tyfferegle

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

After removing the SSD the computer can now boot the Windows DVD.
What is the problem then, broken SSD?