Afterburner not working properly on gtx970m

maverickgr

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
Hi all, I have a Gigabyte p35w v3 laptop with a gtx970m gpu. I've installed MSI Afterburner 4.1 mostly to monitor the temperature (it can be minimized to show the temp as a number on the taskbar). The problem is that although it recognizes the gpu and starts monitoring the temperature, the reading is not showing properly. The temperature reading alternates between the current temperature and zero (it does not show a constant reading). I'm not sure if this is a compatibility problem with Windows 8.1 or something else... Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Thank you in advance!

Solution
I think it's actually because of Nvidia Optimus technology, which switches to intel HD graphics when there is no need for more power. So when it goes to 0, that is the intel graphics "reading". So it is normal. Just leaving this here in case anyone else is wondering about the same matter.

maverickgr

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
I think it's actually because of Nvidia Optimus technology, which switches to intel HD graphics when there is no need for more power. So when it goes to 0, that is the intel graphics "reading". So it is normal. Just leaving this here in case anyone else is wondering about the same matter.

Solution