Aiken Labs Creates First Non-Optical Motion Capture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I dont see it taking off. Sorry to say even though it is the first non optical way of tracking, it is also a controller that relies purely on motion.

You loose the conveniance of the tactile controller while gaining the headaich of having somethings to loose. You also loose the conveniance of just turning the device on and going nuts, which is what microsoft was trying to do with there product.

I dont see this working for casual consumers. so much crap you can loose, motion capture might be really cool with it, but I dont see something like this doing the trick unless its a single divice that the user can put on that would be able to track the entire body.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Lets see... you have to wear sensors... it only sees the motion of those sensors instead of your entire body position... seems like Wii controllers to me. It doesn't even say anything about ranging ability.

Huge step back not forward compared to imaging based motion detection for gaming.

bugo30

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
it would be cool to have a glove with a sensor on each finger, so that it would be like a multi-touch interface where you don't actually have to touch the screen.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Why not just make a pen that secretaries can use to write shorthand on any paper that sends it to their laptops via bluetooth that you can train to recognize what you write?

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
If you have to strap something to you body it is not true motion sensing, it is just device sensing. It is just a high tech version of tying strings to your arms and legs and then to some furniture. Look, ma! when I move, the dining room chairs can sense it and move with me! Amazing!

G

Cheapest VANS Shoes
Tiffany Jewelry Company
Wholesale Hollister Clothing
fashion stuff
offer High Quality
Also Low Price
Free Shipping
Accept Any Payment
Ship out At 24hours Delivered at 8days

=== http://www.madeshopping.net ====

G

There have been radio and mechanical systems around for 20+ years. Not that they are without flaws but there have been many ways to do mocap in a non-optcal way for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.