Air, Flash Finally Coming to Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

kajohn10

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
This is goodness, push the technology to be compatible across multiple platforms, and people will use it...well I know I will! Being a Java addict, I am anxious to see how well this may take off, especially since I will never buy into the "Apple only apps for Apple products" BS attitude.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I'm not sure why anyone would want to access video streaming sites on a tiny screen.[/citation]

I'm so bored of hearing these lame comments about the size of the screen for watching media. For the same reason that hand held consoles such as the Nintendo DS has been a success based on the long success of the Gameboy, obviously a 3" screen is big enough and people use it.

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I'm not sure why anyone would want to access video streaming sites on a tiny screen.[/citation]

The same reason we load full movies, music videos, and games... mobility!

If you don't like it don't use it, but for us who have mobile devices we love options and proliferation of web content to handhelds.

dbrooks08

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I really hope we have this thing all sorted out between Flash and HTML5. I dont know which platform to consider when buying a web device. People say Adobe is going downhill then they release Air, which in my mind COULD be a game changer.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]dbrooks08[/nom]I really hope we have this thing all sorted out between Flash and HTML5. I dont know which platform to consider when buying a web device. People say Adobe is going downhill then they release Air, which in my mind COULD be a game changer.[/citation]

As far as I know AIR is a flash based media player, not actually a codec or web based code as flash or HTML5 is. From the articles I have read so far it seems that HTML5 has the backing of all the major players of web based media such as YouTube, Vimeo... and it seems to be going to same way as the transistion from analog to digital for TV signals. The website will run dual versions side by side for some time and then eventually kill off the flash versions as HTML5 becomes more popular. Although this is likely to take several years so I would think that flash is the way to go for current device upgrades.

longerlife

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Actually it is nothing like the analogue to digital transition. There are no plans to transition the services you mention to HTML5 yet. The html5 videos are part of a beta experiment (for UTube at least) and is being used to assess the viability of using it. At present html5 is not widely supported enough to even consider replacing Flash, and with announcements like this they may never have to.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]longerlife[/nom]Actually it is nothing like the analogue to digital transition. There are no plans to transition the services you mention to HTML5 yet. The html5 videos are part of a beta experiment (for UTube at least) and is being used to assess the viability of using it. At present html5 is not widely supported enough to even consider replacing Flash, and with announcements like this they may never have to.[/citation]

Maybe you should read more?

Tom's Hardware
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/HTML5-YouTube-Vimeo-Adobe-Flash,news-5623.html

Gizmodo
http://gizmodo.com/5454115/first-youtube-now-vimeo-how-html5-could-finally-kill-flash-video

Vimeo
http://vimeo.com/blog:268

Abydosone

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
[citation][nom]longerlife[/nom]Actually it is nothing like the analogue to digital transition. There are no plans to transition the services you mention to HTML5 yet. The html5 videos are part of a beta experiment (for UTube at least) and is being used to assess the viability of using it. At present html5 is not widely supported enough to even consider replacing Flash, and with announcements like this they may never have to.[/citation]

AIR is a platform, not a media player. It allows a flash based program (usually Adobe Flex) to run on the desktop and act like a Java program.

It will be a long time before HTML5 becomes a W3C recommendation, and years before it can compete with Flash. All HTML5 has now is built in support for video and the canvas tag (very crude 2d animation, not even timeline based). And even when HTML5 becomes a standard in 2016, Internet Explorer wont have it implemented until 2020 with the way that team works... LOL

dbrooks08

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

Okay so im thinking about the current tablet coming in the future. I want the iPad because shes very sexy but since flash is used at a lot of the sites i currently use it seems i cant go that route :(
What mobile device in tablet form should I look into?

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Abydosone[/nom]AIR is a platform, not a media player. It allows a flash based program (usually Adobe Flex) to run on the desktop and act like a Java program.It will be a long time before HTML5 becomes a W3C recommendation, and years before it can compete with Flash. All HTML5 has now is built in support for video and the canvas tag (very crude 2d animation, not even timeline based). And even when HTML5 becomes a standard in 2016, Internet Explorer wont have it implemented until 2020 with the way that team works... LOL[/citation]

Thats what I was trying to get at about AIR but wasn't sure how to say it. But I do disagree with your comments about the adcvancement and adoption of HTML5 as more and more devices require full scaling HD content to run on as little resources as possible, the current flash base just isn't good enough or practical as you have to down load and install individual pieces of software to get it to run. For mobile products that are designed for the masses manufacturers and developers surely want to establish a non installed standard as soon as possible.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
AIR can also access external APIs, like Open GL or Direct 3d, much like games can. Which gives it the benefit of running 3d applications in a cross-platform way. Also, with HTML5 vs Flash, I've yet to see HTML5 stream video in the same efficient manner that Flash does. Granted it could be that the technology is still a bit too new, but it looks more like embedding a WMV/MOV file all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.