Airlines Now Offering In-flight Facebook for Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
it it were free i'd definatly use in flight wfi... as its not i just play my psp or laptop gaming

of coarse that was when i used to fly a ear or so back with the tsa stuff i stoppe dflying altogether and now drive the talahassee fl to chicago trip 5-6 times a year with a few trips to michigan in between >_<

give me a way to go through non-tsa airports and i'll happily begin flying again though

p3t3or

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I streamed the bears/packers game on my phone. While it hiccuped every minute or so I was able to get the gist of what was going on and the audio was fine. I'm converted to using it every flight I don't need a nap.

flyboy86

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
" give me a way to go through non-tsa airports and i'll happily begin flying again though"

Get your pilots license.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
So I'm confused. Wasn't there just an article recently about how using wireless devices on airplanes was still considered "dangerous" even though government studies never proved interference?

If they can use "WiFi" on flights (which you obviously pay for) then why can't they just open it up to all wireless devices? You can still get kicked off a flight by flight attendants for have a phone or laptop open/on at the wrong time. (yes I understand that cell phones use different frequencies than WiFi devices)

I don't know, the whole thing sends mixed messages to the mass public if you ask me. Either ban it altogether, or remove the ban altogether. WiFi is only dangerous if it's not paid for I guess.

p3t3or

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I'm not an expert, but I believe this is the case: The most important time for plane instrument communication is during take off/landing. Also God forbid an emergency happened during this time, not having those devices out will assure most everyones attention.

G

Let me get this straight, the airlines want me to pay a fee to check my bags, bring my bags on the plane, to talk to a person, to get a soda, to get a pillow, headphones, or a blanket, to get in the boarding line before others, to get a row with enough that I won't get blood clots in my legs, to hold a baby in my lap during the flight, or to go the bathroom or even get a seat during a flight (Ryanair), but they are gonna give me free Facebook ?!?

phscheff

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I have a feeling its not really free... the day I can open my laptop and connect to the network without being redirected to the Gogo website... without giving them contact info... without agreeing to their terms of bullshit... I'll log in, until then your "free" facebook access is worthless.

Yes I know the above will never happen... which is unfortunate.

Crashman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have one of those silly Dell notebooks with the extended battery sticking out the front. As a result, I cannot open it far enough to see the screen :) What good is wifi if the space between the seats is only big enough for a 120lb person carrying a 12.1" netbook? Should I ask the guy in front of me to put his seat up?

cracatoa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Not sure for WiFi, but I know for Cell service the issue has always been tower switching. On the ground at 60mph with a limited LOS to towers, it isn't a major deal. However, in the air, with a near limitless LOS and moving at 400 - 600mph you're talking about a real headache.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Now you can hit on the air stewardess you poked on facebook whilst waiting to take off.

(I know nothing about facebook).

h2o_skiman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I would use if it was available. I have on six international flights and multiple connecting flights and not one offered wifi. But a handful offered a $6 for Direct-TV on an a 70 minute flight. I'll pay for wifi, because I can determine the content. No way will I pay for limited content Direct-TV.

G

Facebook is garbage I do not want to sit in a plane full of people using facebook to update their status from walking to sitting on ass in an airplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS