Airport Scanner Sees Phone, Knife; Misses Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Well as long as it catches the Cell phones.... wait what?

"What do you think is the best way to tackle the issue of airport and flight security?"

Well to be honest there will always be crazy people. Sometimes they will group together seeking to justify the actions they take. In all honestly all you can do is cut down on the risks and try to discover these groups and break them up.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
The terrorist have won, I keep taking my shoes of multiple times before I have to get on an airplane because someone failed to blow themselves up? I'd rather make sure we have marshals on every flight than go through this ridiculous security. 911 will never happen again with commercial flights, after that there's no way the passengers would allow anyone to take over an airplane before they're dead. It is a huge waste of money this extra security and it's doing nothing but make things more difficult and expensive for travel.

Socnom

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Hmm. I wonder why Airports do not hire doctors. New Airport Security: Free Physicals. kill 3 birds with 1 stone.

1) Free complete physical (not even suppositories can get through)
2) Not as embarrassing as a body scan (you will need to do no.1 eventually)
3) While your in there, security can check your clothes thoroughly

At least with this option, you get some benefits.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
A smart airlines would guarantee safety as long as you entered the plane in approved surgical scrubs. And have your baggage go on another plane. It wouldn't be a law, just a good business guaranteeing safety of passengers to make money.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Hmmm...

Part of me likes the video because it proves that this technology is just a false sense of security. Pretty much what I was thinking when I first heard of it and it gives me some kind of self-satisfaction of being right.

But, the other part of me is saying.."Why, oh why do people air this stuff on TV and the internet, basically showing the terrorists how easily circumvented this system is?" Before, the would be terrorists might have had second thoughts about this new technology.. now that they know it is just smoke and mirrors, they probably wont even worry that much about it.

amarok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Exactly right, the terrorists have won. Common fear and hysteria rules public transport. The next will be grounding of planes, ships and cars. People will be allowed a flotation-device so they can swim across the Atlantic and bicycles for land transport.
Wait!...what?? the hell you say!?
Do the terrorists also have mines to the water and bicycle-bombs too?
Damn!
Maybe the true survivors are all the nerds who stays in their parents basement, avoiding girls and open places with fresh air while they play WoW 24/7 ?
OMFG!!

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
They need to make airline security a no-nonsense thing. I really don't care if the scanner can see genitals, or what have you... maybe they should do a sort of 3d scan that also scans from the bottom to fix the issue w\ stuff being possibly missed in that area.

But, they should definitely put a marshal on each flight.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]KT_Wasp[/nom]Hmmm...Part of me likes the video because it proves that this technology is just a false sense of security. Pretty much what I was thinking when I first heard of it and it gives me some kind of self-satisfaction of being right.But, the other part of me is saying.."Why, oh why do people air this stuff on TV and the internet, basically showing the terrorists how easily circumvented this system is?" Before, the would be terrorists might have had second thoughts about this new technology.. now that they know it is just smoke and mirrors, they probably wont even worry that much about it.[/citation]
Because "Security by Obscurity" isn't security at all. Knowing the false security that is being pitched and sold to us at many hundreds of thousands of dollars of "taxpayer" money by our governments is just shameful and should not be happening.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Who really believed you could detect every type of bomb that could be made.

There are so many and you can just make bombs from basic materials that aren't even illegal on planes. There are so many that could go undetected.

Just a waste of every ones time and money. The idea of a doctor to do checkups will take too much time or will be a worthless checkups, making him nothing more than someone with a doctor degree searching for illegal substances.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
... If only airport security had some sort of bomb sniffing biological entity.

Perhaps something with 4 paws, a tail, and a nose 10,000x more sensitive than a humans.

Thinking ahead, this creature wouldn't be distracted like most of our TSA agents talking about last night's American Idol show.

A creature that could be rescued from countless animal shelters across the world and be given a second chance in life.

.... hell with it, lets spend a gazillion dollars on some crappy machine that doesn't even work and staff it with clueless page turners and hassle Great Grandma Mildred.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
They need to just give up and use REAL xray technology, not this cheap pansy backscatter stuff. A guy could easily hide the explosives in a jockstrap and make it right on through, what are they going to do tell him his 'package' is a little too big and force a strip search? If higher powered xrays are used, things like organic explosives can be flagged more easily.

Of course, the dosage would permit only one or two plane trips per month, which may not be compatible with everyone...

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I bet $100 with any member here this will be a future excuse to further clamp down on our privacy in the future with the excuse of terrorism.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
My suggestion for airport security: tell the passengers if there is someone who threatens to take over the plane to swarm him and subdue him, since if you don't everyone will die anyway. Even if the guy has a knife, 150:1 odds will win. Save us the trouble of taking our shoes off 6 times before getting on a plane.

G

tsnorquist
" Perhaps something with 4 paws, a tail, and a nose 10,000x more sensitive than a humans "

i really see that one going down well, a dog sniffing at everyone's crotch ..... i dont think my imagination is creative enough to envisage the kind of situations that may arise from that scenario

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]... If only airport security had some sort of bomb sniffing biological entity. Perhaps something with 4 paws, a tail, and a nose 10,000x more sensitive than a humans. Thinking ahead, this creature wouldn't be distracted like most of our TSA agents talking about last night's American Idol show.A creature that could be rescued from countless animal shelters across the world and be given a second chance in life..... hell with it, lets spend a gazillion dollars on some crappy machine that doesn't even work and staff it with clueless page turners and hassle Great Grandma Mildred.[/citation]But Muslims are afraid of dogs, we wouldn't want to be discriminatory towards their beliefs that a dog is an incarnation of unclean evil. *sarcasm*

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Easy, if you are Muslim, or have a name that incorporates "Muhammad" or any such variant, then you don't fly. Is that racist? Yes. Not all terrorists Muslim you say? Correct. However, the majority is. Not legal? Of course it is. Example? Sure. Try being a male that, by pure happenstance, is seated next to a an unaccompanied minor on a British Airways flight (and many other major airlines.) You will be relocated to another seat. If you can bias on basis of gender, then you bias on name or religion. Sure you can't keep the "Muhammads" from flying. However, we can make them fly naked, up front, under armed guard...sure they can complain...but to whom? Make it an airline policy, not a government policy. The following rant was brought to you courtesy of a grant from the Jonathon Swift foundation.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Well, I think this requirement of an invasive technology is unacceptable. It should be your choice to give up your privacy if you prefer that to fear. That is why the scrub-airlines idea is so good. As long as you are not compelled to give up your privacy/rights and give it up by choice to enhance free enterprise, it is perfectly acceptable. In theory, it could be a cheaper airlines as they guarantee security...

Status
Not open for further replies.