Al Gore: Games Can Spark Real-Life Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Only women play those games he is on about... who really spends that much time on Facebook anymore (dropped it like a bad habit myself). Battlefield 3 would be an interesting one to assess against this fluff.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Dear god, get your Climate Change out of my Mass Effect! Shoo! No one wants to listen to a political message while playing a game.

That crap may fly in 2 hour long movies but I'll be darned if the average consumer is willing to sit through 10-80(!) hours of political exposition. And don't even think about an MMO or Skyrim.

And yes, Climate change is political. Like nearly every scientific study that reaches the eyes and ears of the average person ALL climate studies are invalid. Shoddy application of the scientific method, shoddy research, and incomplete samples contribute to this problem.

Add to that the complexity of weather, something meteorologists can't predict with complete certainty, something that is only part of the larger and more complex function of climate, and where we're left is the "It's happening, but we don't know why" stage.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Maximus_Delta[/nom]Only women play those games he is on about... who really spends that much time on Facebook anymore (dropped it like a bad habit myself). Battlefield 3 would be an interesting one to assess against this fluff.[/citation]

That's so not true. There are more women than men playing those games sure, but it's definetly not just women doing so. And with the advent of facebook via phone, I've started using that site much much much more than I used to. I mean I've even been able to ditch icq, msn and skype because everything I need is doable on facebook and via ventrilo.

@ people bitchin about the political brainwash : you ought to get used to it. They're putting that everywhere, not just in games. Nothing much you can do about it unless you go to a less developed country.

Anyway he's got a point with regards to art. I mean the stuff I've seen done in minecraft (mcschematics.com) is mind blowing. Seriously. And that's done in a game with texture surfaces of 16x16 pixel.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]Dear god, get your Climate Change out of my Mass Effect! Shoo! No one wants to listen to a political message while playing a game.That crap may fly in 2 hour long movies but I'll be darned if the average consumer is willing to sit through 10-80(!) hours of political exposition. And don't even think about an MMO or Skyrim.And yes, Climate change is political. Like nearly every scientific study that reaches the eyes and ears of the average person ALL climate studies are invalid. Shoddy application of the scientific method, shoddy research, and incomplete samples contribute to this problem.Add to that the complexity of weather, something meteorologists can't predict with complete certainty, something that is only part of the larger and more complex function of climate, and where we're left is the "It's happening, but we don't know why" stage.[/citation]

What is the political gain in supporting climate change, I've never understood this about the "right"? It's idiotic. It's like if a giant meteor was headed towards earth and scientist said hey there is a strong chance this meteor will hit earth, and then, you have a group of people that stand up and say I don't believe it and fight against it. Ok, so say scientist are wrong, it makes a lot more sense to err on the side of caution then to not, don't you think so? As far as climate change is concerned, scientist are pretty much in agreement on this one, humans effect their climate considerably especially with the release of carbon into the air. It's very basic non-complex science, oil was created during basically the period of dinosaurs by a huge stagnant ocean, it killed off alot of plankton, the plankton essentially trapped lots of energy that normally would have been released back into the environment, we release that energy today the earth will warm up, and this will change our climate in many ways, more severe weather, more extremes, and an overall average increase in temperature. Is it bad for the earth, nope, the earth will keep ticking, but it would mean trouble for us. I don't understand what is so complex about it, you can do a basic experiment build a tank put it in direct sunlight, pump it with CO2 and see what happens, as the CO2 concentration increases.

Anyway, I think this whole debate against it, is just dumb, and I don't see how it would gain you anything politically, and never understood why it would become political, who doesn't want cheap energy??? What gain would it be for anyone to actually endorse climate change.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]Maximus_Delta[/nom]I agree, give us an F'ing break from the politics... we game to relax, not to be brainwashed according to Al Gore's latest agenda.[/citation]

Actually, yo should thank Al Gore for hsi agenda in making sure the internet was brought to the masses, and that's actually, no joke, while Al Gore didn't create the internet, he never said he did either, he was extremely influential in bringing it to public sector, and understood it a long time ago talking in the70's, as a senator, when very few people saw the vision. Some of the people who worked on the technologies that would help create the net, Robert Kahn and Vincent Cerf, came to his defense about how instrumental as a politician he was in getting their work out into private world. In fact, he authored a pretty comprehensive book in the early 90's on the subject, well before the "internet" was established, although by that point he had been working and involved with creating legislation to create this technology for some 20 years, he's also the person who coined the phrase in that book, "Information Superhighway" what we would call later the internet. The guy is pretty ......g smart especially when it comes to science and technology and it's impact on society.

I would actually say when it comes to agendas or impact of technology on society that Gore picks up on, he becomes very learned on the matter and one of the experts. The guy is a geek at heart, I mean what politician actually takes the time to read scientific documents on tcp/ip and how it could be used to connect the world one day, or takes the time to understand the science behind climate change. Ironically, "right wingers" rail against the theory, but it was a right wing administration, "Nixon" who put the issue on the map. Somewhere along the way the republican mantra became whatever the democrats say , we will say the opposite, if the dems said there is no climate change, I gaurantee tomorrow the GOP would switch stances.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I have been playing video games on multiple platforms for decades, with only one purpose in mind...
BE ENTERTAINED!

True some REAL games have some history lessons (as part of their game) I remember one example "The Beast Within" about catching werewolves .... but inside the story they had some interesting facts without been a stupid learning "game". (by the way this is a very old win95 or win98 game)

Bottom line I played on PC since DOS days, and still play games for DOS, win95, win98, XP, and now windows 7, on the consoles I have (or had in the past) Nintendo, Super Nintendo, PS1, PS2, Xbox and PS3.

I have enough gaming experience NOT to listen to Al Gore and his nonsense.

G

Ah come on Toms, give us some news on what Dan Quayle is up to these days. Why shoud I care what Al Gore has to say?

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Oh here we go..games that are aimed at solving 'climate crisis'..get 'em while they're young, etc. Jeeze, when they're old enough they can play Halo as endorsed by Obama..get to level 100 and you could win a free trip to Iraq, complete with real gun! You the man dude, you the man. Just don't ask what the hell you're fighting for..we'll get back to you on that ;)

"I want to say that I'd love to work with any teams that are interested in making games that are focused on solutions to the climate crisis. I look forward to getting to know this community better."

You don't need bloody games to sort this out. Lock the sodding border with Mexico..stop pissing public money away on private/corporate affairs. Then use what's saved to bolster sustainable, economic solutions instead of creating endless Harvard drone's who all sing and dance to the same tune. Your tune.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Maximus_Delta[/nom]Only women play those games he is on about... who really spends that much time on Facebook anymore (dropped it like a bad habit myself). Battlefield 3 would be an interesting one to assess against this fluff.[/citation]
Good comment.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]That's so not true. There are more women than men playing those games sure, but it's definetly not just women doing so. ... [/citation]

Women and gay men then.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]As far as climate change is concerned, scientist are pretty much in agreement on this one, humans effect their climate considerably especially with the release of carbon into the air.[/citation]
Sorry, dude, not even close. The fact is that, the only thing scientists agree on is that the climate is changing... not much to debate there, when has the climate NOT changed? What they DON'T agree on is the contribution of man to climate change. Isn't that odd? If we have such a profound effect on our environment, you would think our contribution would be easy to quantify.

In point of fact, our contribution is only noticeable in areas where we congregate en masse (i.e. large cities). So when you're standing in the middle of Los Angeles or Shanghai, you see the smog and everything else, and it seems obvious. Zoom out a few hundred miles and man's contribution quickly disappears. Our contribution is about like a person pushing on the back of a freight train that is rolling downhill. Does that person have a contribution? Yes. Is it significant? Not in the slightest.

Something else to consider... we are well aware that there are times when the planet has been covered in ice; likewise, there have been times when there was absolutely no ice on the planet. Life has survived and flourished in spite of these conditions, so why the panic now? Man has been around for over 150,000 years. The climate has changed quite a lot during that time. Is that also our fault?

Finally, you said that we should err on the side of caution. However, these same experts who can't agree on the contribution of man to climate change, DO agree that it would cost trillions of dollars to affect the global temperature but only a couple of tenths of a degree. That's an aweful lot for something that would probably have no effect, and to address something that is certainly beyond our control

Status
Not open for further replies.