Alienware 13 black screen/no lights

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 19, 2018
Hi
I have an alienware 13. When i turn it on the fan and hdd run but the screen or any of the lights dont switch on. I have tried doing the discharge by removing battery and holding power for 2 min but it doesnt work. I have also tried resseting ram but still does not work.if i press the power button when the fan/hdd is running it powers off immediately as if i had held the power button down for a long time. It is possible it is in hibernate mode. If anyone has a solution it would help me alot

Solution
When you next time disassembly try boot it bare minumum : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9owVxRq4k8 check mark 15 mins 00sec

Put motherboard on wooden table with no dirt or cardboard box and look that nothing shorts it or connectors dont touch each other etc

Just the motherboard with fans connected (nothing else connected than motherboard, dc jack, fans , 1 ram stick) , take out dc jack from the case and connect it to motherboard, take out cmos battery completely. Then plugin charger and it should startup immidiattely without pressing power button since cmos is removed, this depends on the model though. You might need to get power button cable from front case and connect it to motherboard (be careful not to short anything out when...
Mar 19, 2018
So just an update. Its still not fixed but sometimes while im discharging the battery after maybe 10 minutes the laptop will boot and start working. This is before the battery is fully discharged. I have tested with an external monitor nothing shows up even when i press the screen switch button. I havent had any time to do the other things like change the cmos or test battery voltage. About cleaning the fans and thermal paste ive done that only about a month ago

Mar 19, 2018
Also ive checked with hw monitor the batterys voltage and its a pretty constant 16.3v. But even if the battery was faulty the laptop still doesnt boot with the battery disconnected and on ac power only.

Mar 19, 2018
So i finally had time to open it up. I checked the cmos voltage it was 3v. Reapplied paste. And still have the same problem. Also i cant boot the laptop up anymore by discharging the battery it just simply turns off when battery gets low. I havent been able to boot at all now.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Monitoring softwares sometimes give faulty readings but it should work with ac power only connected. Did you test your charger voltage with multimeter? Is it fluctuating or stable? When you test it try moving the charger cable around if that changes readings.

Is the graphics card soldered chip to motherboard or mxm with connector to motherboard?

I will look closely to disassembly video of your laptop so i can help better with troubleshooting if these fail

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
When you next time disassembly try boot it bare minumum : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9owVxRq4k8 check mark 15 mins 00sec

Put motherboard on wooden table with no dirt or cardboard box and look that nothing shorts it or connectors dont touch each other etc

Just the motherboard with fans connected (nothing else connected than motherboard, dc jack, fans , 1 ram stick) , take out dc jack from the case and connect it to motherboard, take out cmos battery completely. Then plugin charger and it should startup immidiattely without pressing power button since cmos is removed, this depends on the model though. You might need to get power button cable from front case and connect it to motherboard (be careful not to short anything out when you connect power button cable, take somthing like tape or paper underneath it to prevent short. You might need to connect whole front case if power button cable cant be removed.

Solution

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Also forgot to add you need to plugin external monitor cable like vga or hdmi whatever port you have and plugin it to monitor. If you know that when external monitor is plugged in you need key combination to change input , you can plugin external usb keyboard or add carefully your keyboard cable to motherboard and try like this,,, dont short anything pls