Alienware 14x startup issues.

Kennemorekid

Estimable
Jul 20, 2015
Hi everyone. I have an alienware 14x that has an issue starting up. When I have it try to start up unplugged it will not start or do anything whatsoever like I'm not pressing the button. Now when I plug it in with the battery charger, it starts up for about 4 seconds the keyboard lights come on and the screen lights up, then just powers down. I will say I don't usually unplug it like I'm supposed to when it worked. For a couple of months now. So I just leave it plugged in. I have tried taking the battery out and pushing the power button for 30 sec. Then putting the battery back in and trying but just the same stuff.

Shaun o

Distinguished
It`s often a sign that the graphics card used in the laptop has failed.
On alienware laptops the graphics solution is dedicated and is fitted to a Pci-e based slot on the laptop motherboard.

If it fails it often leads to the problem you are having, if the laptop has an Intel based graphics solution.
And for example a Nvidia, or Ati based card as a hybrid config.

If you open up the laptop and remove the Graphics card from the Pci-e based slot and then power up the system and it powers up and boots fine. it means you have a fault with the Nvidia or Ati based Pci-e card.

Now the solution in most cases is perform a re-flow of the GPU chip on both of the Pci-e graphics cards ATI or Nvidia to fix the problem.
Due to excessive heat the pins of the Gpu chip to the board have become loose or broken, de soldered.
And why the system does not power up right with the card fitted to the Pci-e slot in the alienware gaming laptop.

As I said removing the Pci-e card, if the laptop has hybrid setup of Intel on motherboard, and Pci-e based Ati or Nvidia Gpu card. will confirm the card is at fault, if the laptop works or powers up fine without it being in the Pci-e slot.
Only do this of course if the laptop is out of it`s warranty an repair terms and conditions.
If it`s still under warranty just RMA back to Alienware.
A re-flow of the Gpu on the Pci-e card should or will fix the problem, take it to someone who knows how to do a reflow if the system does work without the card plugged into the Pci-slot. done right it should fix the problem when the Pci-e based card is slotted back into the Pci-e slot of the laptop, and power up right after the fix.

Processor 2.3GHz Intel Core i7-2820QM
Memory 8GB, 1,600MHz DDR3
Hard drive 750GB 7,200rpm
Chipset Intel HM67
Graphics Nvidia GeForce GT 555M / Intel HD 3000- Hybrid.
Operating system Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Dimensions (WD) 13.4x9.7 inches
Height 1.2 inches
Screen size (diagonal) 14 inches

TRENDING THREADS